Ed the Bat wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 03, 2018 0:40
1) Taking a cue from Blue Shift, a 'B-story' to Paranoid/Paranoiac that happens nearby at the same time -- basically, what was Otis doing during Bellmer's adventures, and what did he have to face?
Option 1 allows for some freedom with recycling assets, such as enemies and perhaps even entire map layouts. It also presents opportunities to make some subtle references for the player, like 'Hey, remember this event in Paranoid?' (example: seeing Bellmer ride the tram on his first day to work).
Agreed, that using some of the same resources (including maps) would reduce the effort to create the new mod, and would also create the "aha" moments in players.
2) An unrelated adventure, starring Otis, that might have taken place at a different time and/or location.
Option 2 would present more freedom with the story, since it could be theoretically anything, anywhere, with any assets. It could serve as a platform to insert maps that didn't fit in with the Paranoid storyline, for instance. Heck, it could even BE Otis fighting the Nazis (again, just an example), if we wanted.
I have been mulling an idea to create one or more maps that are set outside the Half-Life/Paranoi* universe, similar to the 2 bonus maps included in Paranoiac
, where DooM enemies were used. This could be something that is done as a stand-alone map (or set of maps).
Or... perhaps if that old idea that was tossed around earlier ever comes to life... the one about updating the maps from the old Paranoia mod... we could put Otis behind the wheel so there wouldn't be any concern with shoe-horning them into Bellmer's story.
For the update of the Paranoia
mod, the story has already been developed to follow the adventures of Lt. Col. Alvarez, Ph. D. He is a prisoner in the holding cells, and manages to escape when the "resonance cascade" occurs. The mapping completed so far
already incorporates this story, and would have to be reworked considerably to accommodate a new, Otis story-line. Therefore, I propose a completely different set of maps, based on a different adventure, for Otis.
I read through the story for Blue Shift
, and it's a very interesting departure from Gordon Freeman's story. Let me think about the Otis Shift/Density
story possibilities a bit more. Here are what I see as limitations:
1. Creating a story similar to Blue Shift will require a whole lot of interactions between the player and scientists and other NPC (e.g., Barney Calhoun), and this might not be possible with GZDooM's limitations.
2. Having that level of interaction would require a lot of voice acting.
3. It might also require the creation or adoption of significant new resources.
4. I'm unclear about this, but can Otis or Barney use the HEV chargers for "armor"? It would appear not to be so.
Here are what I see as opportunities:
1. Otis can work with Barney, either for a part of the story or for the entire story. [This would likely require voice acting.]
2. Otis can have a completely different motive than other characters. For example, Bellmer's motives in Paranoid
were sabotage, and in Paranoiac
were escape. Lt. Col. Alvarez's motives are revenge. Perhaps Otis' motives are pizza. Heh.
On a somewhat related note, if we develop this concept further, perhaps we ought to split the Otis Shift/Density project to its own sub-forum.