9%
B
3%
C
89%

Total votes: 35

Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

C or A. What wildweasel said in his first post here sums up my feelings on this. To be honest I only come here to post on the GZDoom forums (I have a feeling most people also do this) but even that is quite uncommon beacuse the ZDoom forums aren't really that strict to say "NO GZDOOM STUFF OR ELSE!". Option B you could only really do if you whored paypal donations (like the Skulltag website) so that's a no go.

From what I can see from the hosted sites, hardly anything gets updated anymore. If people are worried about their stuff being hosted, isn't something like googlepages good enough for them? I heard that they can hold quite a bit of data, and i'm sure most of these sites don't take up too much room. As for your own forums, that can be a pain in the ass since all free forum software kinda sucks balls but again do you really need a forum?

That's all I gotta say about this because, and i'm sorry to say, I hardly come here or know much about it anymore. :(
Zero Prophet

Post by Zero Prophet »

I'm certainly not a frequent visitor anywhere, but allow me to toss another C-coin into the pot.

It would be a shame to see the Armory disappear, both Graf & Rex are very active, and KDiZD seems to be generating hits. However, I can see where Grubber's coming from, and though a move would be time-consuming, I think it's all for the best. That way, everyone gets a fresh start and it doesn't drain the budget.

And that's my voice, for what it's worth.
MR_ROCKET

Post by MR_ROCKET »

I don't post here much and I'v made only a few things for gzdoom.
Never the less I voted C because that's what Grubber wants to do.
Whoo

Post by Whoo »

Yay! It's not going to die! :D
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Agreed, and this also means Graf won't have to spend time finding a new place if it shut down for good. :P
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: What's next?

Post by Rex Claussen »

Grubber wrote:UPDATE:
SoulPriestess offered me a webspace and I took the offer. It means that everything will stay as is (at least for now), except that drdteam.org will be under his (her?) control (I'll still be around doing practically everything I do now). The move will commence in few weeks.
I'm guessing that the domain name (and URL addresses of the hosted sites) will remain unchanged?
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

That's right.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Grubber wrote:That's right.
Good news, then.

Now perhaps you ought to continue the discussions that were begun a year ago on restructuring drdteam.org and making it a leading site for DooM and other gaming.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Rex Claussen wrote:Now perhaps you ought to continue the discussions that were begun a year ago on restructuring drdteam.org and making it a leading site for DooM and other gaming.
When I start hosting DRD team, I am planning on making it very easy to do any upgrades or changes to this site as required to achieve this goal, and I am going to give the admins and hostees my full support in doing so. I believe that this entire community has great potential, and hopefully by attracting more members to this community, the ability to complete large-scale projects will be easier and more enjoyable than before. And maybe, more major projects like Knee-Deep in ZDoom will begin to surface if more able bodies (minds?) and creative juices get together. :)

Kudos to the KDiZD team, by the way. It's just a shame that my computer is too old to play it. What little I could see, though, was obviously well done, and a lot of time was spent on it. :)
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Sort of weighing into this one a bit late, so I'd just like to thank Grubber for what he has done over the last few years (and what I'm sure he will continue to do) and thank SoulPriestess for stepping up to the plate too.

Thanks to you both.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

SoulPriestess wrote:When I start hosting DRD team, I am planning on making it very easy to do any upgrades or changes to this site as required to achieve this goal, and I am going to give the admins and hostees my full support in doing so.
That will be a great start. Still, what I was thinking was more along the lines of creating content that will attract and keep visitors coming back. Some ideas that were discussed before were:
  • 1. Community projects.
    2. Mapping contests (perhaps with some prizes).
    3. Fiction.
    4. Art.
    5. Exclusive hosting of maps & projects.
    6. Tutorials & tips for newcomers.

Post by Alter »

Rex Claussen wrote:
SoulPriestess wrote:When I start hosting DRD team, I am planning on making it very easy to do any upgrades or changes to this site as required to achieve this goal, and I am going to give the admins and hostees my full support in doing so.
That will be a great start. Still, what I was thinking was more along the lines of creating content that will attract and keep visitors coming back. Some ideas that were discussed before were:
  • 1. Community projects.
    2. Mapping contests (perhaps with some prizes).
    3. Fiction.
    4. Art.
    5. Exclusive hosting of maps & projects.
    6. Tutorials & tips for newcomers.
Idea 1 sounds good but it would be really need to be organized, Idea 2 sounds good (Imagine Weekly DRD Mapping contest where each mapper must make a MAP IN A WEEK, best map wins the prize), Idea 3: Awesome, Idea 4: Remember Nmn's artwork? :D, Idea 5: sure, cool stuff, Idea 6: Also good idea
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Alter wrote:(Imagine Weekly DRD Mapping contest where each mapper must make a MAP IN A WEEK, best map wins the prize)
I can imagine quite rapid enthusiasm fade for something as frequent as that. But yeah contests do tend to create a bit of a buzz. I quite liked, and even took part in, a couple of the DoomWorld speedmapping contests.

The other suggestions are good too. An art site or two on here would certainly be interesting. Music?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote:Music?
D'oh! I knew I was forgetting something.

If we add a music section to drdteam.org I may be tempted to upload some of the songs & music I've composed/recorded. I might even put up the two DooM-related songs I've recorded - one based on DooM & the other based on DooM2.
DoomGuy

I Vote option C

Post by DoomGuy »

Option C is my choice. I would hate to see the website die. I don't visit it too often but when I have a question about Doom level design, this is where I turn. Thanks for the opportunity to vote!

Return to “News”