My stance on the PIPA and SOPA blackouts (2012/01/18)

Main drdteam.org news.
[Home] [Hosted & External Links]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

My stance on the PIPA and SOPA blackouts (2012/01/18)

Post by Rachael »

By all logic, DRD team could've, and possibly should've joined the many internet sites campaigning to put an end to SOPA and PIPA bills. However, there were reasons why I decided not to:

1) It seems some of the sites joining in have used javascript code to enforce their black-outs, for the specific reason that such a blackout could be bypassed. This, in its own way, is merciful in allowing people continuing access to information that they really need, however it decreases the real urgency and effect of such a blackout. DRD Team's blackout would have been handled differently, with a server-side enforcement that could not have been bypassed so easily. This would've been unfair to people in reason #2:

2) I believe it would unfairly affect people who have no ability to control what happens with the politics of a nation whose userbase makes up nearly a minority of the total number of people who use this site (only around 35%).

3) DRD Team is not even hosted in the United States any more, even though it is owned and operated by an American, it has long ago moved to the United Kingdom where it now resides.

4) It is argued that the effectiveness of this blackout is limited at best. And DRD Team is only a small pebble in the large internet pool - our stance might have made very little difference at too great of a cost to the international user.

There WERE reasons for joining in though, and they do hold some major significance to DRD Team:

1) Americans SHOULD be made aware of SOPA and PIPA. This is legislation that affects our very livelihood in many ways, and if it were to pass, would set a dreadful precedent to our country and our freedom, not only with the internet, but also corporate control of our lives outside the internet as well. As an addendum to this - it should be noted that there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with our country, and our economy, that legislation like this is even being CONSIDERED. People need to stand up for themselves in a government that actively encourages it - you need to tell your senators and congressmen to stop doing things to infringe upon your freedom. This has got to stop here and now - and you are a part of what will make that happen. This is unacceptable behavior of our elected officials to be willing to cut into our freedom so dramatically. It should not be tolerated.

2) DRD Team is one of the many sites that would be adversely affected by these bills. Should they pass, the existence of DRD Team would be at stake. It could very well vanish in the blink of an eye, and without warning. This in itself is a dreadful prospect. DRD Team is not a site run by one, but run by many. And countless more need and use the resources here on a daily basis.

So ... while DRD Team will NOT be "blacking out" for this event, I think people should still be made aware of what's happening, and if they can, take action. There is one wikipedia article that has remained open through the blackout, and everyone is encouraged to visit it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... Learn_more

This post is not in protest of the bills themselves, but of the fundamental issues behind them. I believe that the momentum that's moving wrongful legislation like this forward needs to be stopped in its tracks, and permanently set the other way. Yes, piracy is wrong, but this isn't the right way to fix it - and I honestly believe it would be foolish to think that these bills are strictly meant to stop it, with the amount of power they grant to the wrong hands.

So - there you are - have a good day, and enjoy the non-blacked-out DRD Team!
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: My stance on the PIPA and SOPA blackouts (2012/01/18)

Post by Gez »

Fighting piracy with censorship is akin to fighting the common cold with bubonic plague.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I agree fully. The way to fight piracy is to curb the cause, not the symptom - and I believe that lies wholly with the corporations themselves, not the end-user.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

PIPA & SOPA: Examples of Big Brother (and corporate interests that back them) at work.

Well said, Rachel (independent-thinking college girl).

Return to “News”