End of Laba...

Moderator: Paul

Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

End of Laba...

Post by Paul »

What the heck is a "Laba"? Before these summer vacation began, my brother sent me an sms stating that "3 months of Laba await me". Me and my friend liked it so much we decided to nickname these vacations a "3 month lasting Laba". Laba is a polish word and basically means "Labour-Off", in practice meaning total laziness...

The Laba ends soon and I'm getting back to hi-school, venturing to another city, to study and live on my own. The following time wasn't actually extreme laziness if I may say so myself... I've done a helluva lot pictures and was studying anatomy each weekend (seriously! this time...). The results can be seen in the Art section - I apologise for the poor quality of photographs of the oil and acrylic paintings but my camera sucks and I lack a proper large scanner to digitise these somehow. I've also uploaded some of the aforementioned anatomy studies in the "Misc" section.

However, the biggest surprise awaits you in the Games section - a working prototype version of my now abandoned game called "Haze" (Lost in Cold Haze actually). I've given up working on it for multiple reasons and not to hold on to it forever I've decided to share it. The zip file is all you need as it contains the executable of the Zdoom sourceport and a fake IWAD, allowing it to be played without the necessity of obtaining Doom2. The package also has numerous concept art and information, my comments and thoughts on the project, why it was abandoned and such. This may also be my final contribution to the world of Doom and video games whatsoever.

Enjoy!
Cage

Re: End of Laba...

Post by Cage »

Niestety, czasem "laba" oznacza "w końcu mogę popracować nad projektami!" ;)

Ehem, didn't have much time to play Haze, but it looks great and the atmosphere is good too, even though I didn't encounter anything scary yet ;) Shame to see it go, I've promised myself that I won't start any project without a programmer and maybe a level designer back-up. It's hard to finish solo projects in less than a few years :( Are you still working on Stomper? The weapons look cool, and I'm sure that a Doom megawad would be a lesser workload than Haze.

Good job on your art, I think you've really managed to push it up a notch :) I've finally managed to get myself into a regular drawing practice but no satisfactory progress yet ;)

Good luck in future endeavors!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

In my strictly amateur opinion, I'd say that the artwork is pushed up by more than just a notch. Some of those September pictures look stunning. I'm not much for landscapes but I really like what you have done there. The cobbled street scene really draws me in and I really like the second mountain (2012_AcrylicsPainting1.JPG) too. The one with the rusted gate is a nice intriguing scene and my be my favourite. Even the fairly mundane location of a road junction has been given a "certain something" by your treatment of it.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Thanks guys. Really glad you appreciate the stuff I'm making.

Yeah I'm still working on Stomper, but more off than on... If I fail to fill the entire 32-level roster than I'll just release what's done already with some polishing up so it can go to /idgames, Haze is way too unfinished to end up there in my opinion.
Unfortunately, real life demands more than I could handle ATM so I can not make any statements concerning personnal projects.

Return to “News”