Knee-Deep in KDiZD

Talk about our & your projects.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

I also was hoping a "lite" version of KDiZD with a bit less detail, but I don't really like the fact of going STRAIGHT down to Vanilla...
Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler all drank water. You criminal scum !
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Lioyd_Irving wrote:I also was hoping a "lite" version of KDiZD with a bit less detail, but I don't really like the fact of going STRAIGHT down to Vanilla...
The detail wasn't the problem with KDIZD, if you ask me - the problem was that they tried to drag out the levels too far by adding Hexen-ish puzzles with hard to find switches and obfuscated key logic (Z1M6 in particular - the flow of the map is messed up because you have to backtrack to that security room every time you get a key so that you can unlock the doors).
sykesccorp

Post by sykesccorp »

thats the resion why i didnt like it as much either i like it cause well the detail is pretty good but its so confusing half the time i was running around in circuls
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Then why not making a strategy guide for KDiZD ? With each member posting his own techniques against monsters, complete maps of the level, walkthroughs, etc.
Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler all drank water. You criminal scum !
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Lioyd_Irving wrote:Then why not making a strategy guide for KDiZD ? With each member posting his own techniques against monsters, complete maps of the level, walkthroughs, etc.
This sort of thing would be unnecessary if the wad was well-designed in the first place. Remember Daedalus: Alien Defense? There were (and probably still are) frequent threads on Doomworld and ZDoom asking for help with the wad's confusing puzzles and counter-intuitive map structure. KDIZD...treads dangerously close to that territory.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

wildweasel wrote:This sort of thing would be unnecessary if the wad was well-designed in the first place.
And judging by your previous post, you don't seem to find it THAT well-designed. (i'm myself stuck in Z1M3...
finished KDiZD but can't find this damn gray key to open Z1M9...)
wildweasel wrote:Remember Daedalus: Alien Defense? There were (and probably still are) frequent threads on Doomworld and ZDoom asking for help with the wad's confusing puzzles and counter-intuitive map structure. KDIZD...treads dangerously close to that territory.
That is one more reason to make that guide.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I've already put up these new (well, some of them new at least) shots on Wads in Progress, Doomworld, and ZDoom.org, but I figure I might as well post them here too. Some of it's stuff I've already shown here, but oh well. :)

In addition to the featured shots from z1m1, z1m4, z1m7, and z1m9, some work has also been done on z1m3 and z1m6.

We could still really use some more mappers on the team. If you're at all interested in working on KDiKDiZD, send me a PM!
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

groovy
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It's been too long since I posted anything about this. Time for an official status report, in picture form!

The new shots showcase recent work by myself, Nuxius, Butts, and Tango. Enjoy!
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

is there anymore room for developers on this?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

If you're interested in it, sure. What do you want to work on?
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

It might be better If I send you a PM at doomworld, but I'd love to do dehacked work, but I imagine that's already been done. Z1M8 or Z1M10?
Gendo

Post by Gendo »

sounds like a great hoax to me :P in case it's not, keep in mind that there used to be some fairly neat projects such as eternal doom that pushed VDoom 1.9 to the limits, but considering what detail the original KDiZD had, imo it would be rather ruined if you tried to make something even remotely resembling it using nothing more than doom2.exe...

off-topic a bit now, a nice idea would be to make KDiZD for GZDoom ;) or more reasoably, TSoZD for GZD...

edit: screenshots in previous posts load no more.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

@Gendo: The screenshots don't load anymore because my old webspace on startan3.com no longer exists, unfortunately.

There are a bunch of screenshots up on Wads in Progress, though: http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1049

Return to “Projects”