Templar: Land of the Lost Temples

Talk about our & your projects.
Bishop

Templar: Land of the Lost Temples

Post by Bishop »

==>> What is Templar? <<==

Many of you might be asking this question, so I will include it here.
This a classic DOOM II mod that will run off two of Zdoom's OpenGL daugter ports (Gzdoom and Skulltag) so yes, basically it's an OGL mod only. (appologies to software users) Giving classic Doom a different appearence and different gameplay style using the power of all Zdoom/Gzdoom features.
What do I mean by "different gameplay style?" Well it's simple... This looks like Doom, it might feel like Doom to some but not by others, but It definatley does not play like Doom. Basically gameplay-wise, it's kind of like a mix between Classic Doom, Painkiller, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2. This will be enhanced for Coop/Survival Netplay as well.
The main gameplay features are:

=> A different weapons system that is similar to Classic Doom's but very tweaked and modified and don't behave quite the same. Some weapons have Alt-Fire and are all reloadable. Anlong with prettier animations and muzzle flashes.
=> A limited running system. Ya, shoot me... This is not gonna be so fast paced now. But not too slow paced either. Basically the player can do a dash when he/she really needs to by pressing a key and holding it allowing a "sprint" boosting the player's speed, only for a limited time (6 seconds max) then needs to recharge.

So yes it's not like Classic Doom at all. This type of gameplay requires Finesse, strategy, And thinking. If you aren't solving puzzles and trying to navigate trough the maps, you are suddenly blasting big swarms of hellspawn.

Are you bad enough to survive the land of the lost temples?
==>> The Story Behind The Chaos <<==
After many years of waiting, the scientists of UAC were ready to test thier new improved gateways. The gateways were meant to be able to travel enormous distances in space in a matter of seconds. Long after the incident on Phobos and Deimos, their checked and re-cheked calculations persuaded them that nothing could go wrong this time.
It was time to begin testing. After 2 different research teams went in to explore, they never came back and were never seen again. Finally, the military decided to push the panic button and send in a rescue team of 15 marines icluding you, Captian James Harvey to figure out what's going on in there...
You and your team enter the portal come out the other side to a place which appears to be earth. But the question isn't where, it's when.
You wake up several hours later all alone in the middle of nowhere from a head injury to hear the sound of combat, screaming, and terror on the radios...
You find yourself in front of what appears to be a late 12th century structure.
Looks like you have no choice but to go inside and help 'em out.
==>> Screenshots <<==

==>> Other Stuff <<==
Spoiler: What this mod will include
Spoiler: Video footage
This project is about 40% finished right now... more updates to come.
Last edited by Bishop on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:40, edited 3 times in total.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Templar: Land of the Lost Temples

Post by Rachael »

This is looking good. Those are some awesome screenshots, and the storyline sounds kinda interesting. ^^
Starscream2
Stronghold Team

Post by Starscream2 »

Looking Very atmospheric, nicley done.
Some things that could be fixed up are how in the 1st screen, the marble texture on the ramps, the 2nd screen, the metal bordering the top of the structure, and the 4th sceen, the marble on the ceiling, have textures that are cut off, and it makes it look odd.
Keep it up, This looks and sounds intresting though :wink:
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Yowzah! That is looking schweeeet! Very clever use of (fairly common) GZDooM functions make the pictures really stand out. The castle with the moon backdrop is probably my favorite.

Good luck with the project.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Wow, thanks very much everybody. :)
About the texturing seeming odd in some places... well, yes there is indeed a lot of touch-ups to be done. The maps are not quite finished as far as detail goes, which I usually save for last. Even though texturing on slopes can be quite difficult sometimes in order to make it look decent, there's always a solution wich I will get to eventually.
Anyways thank, you for your feedback :wink:
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Update: 40% done at the moment
plus, more screenshots :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Pluck101

Post by Pluck101 »

Is it just me or do the screenshots look REALLY dark? All i can see are a few torches and dark outlines of what looks like buildings...
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Starscream2
Stronghold Team

Post by Starscream2 »

Bishop wrote:
This screenshot is really nice!
The others were good too, but this one was my favourite :P
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Pluck101 wrote:Is it just me or do the screenshots look REALLY dark?
Strange... They don't look that dark on my screen. :?
It's clear that the maps are meant to be played a bit dark for starters (especially at a distance) but I didn't think they would appear to be un-veiwable by some. Maybe it's your monitor settings? your graphics card settings? All I can say is when I took theese shots my in-game settings where:
brightness: 0 (default)
contrast: 1 (default)
gamma: 1 (default)
light mode: standard
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Pluck101 wrote:Is it just me or do the screenshots look REALLY dark? All i can see are a few torches and dark outlines of what looks like buildings...
To me it sounds like your monitor is just crap. I see the pictures just fine.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

It could just be something like he is using a CRT. I noticed more and more screenshots and mods getting darker whilst I used my CRT as my main monitor until all I could see were black screenshots with the occasional point of light. Then I switched to my new flatscreen and suddenly I realised why: everyone else had been switching to TFTs where such screenshots looks perfectly well lit.

OK, so perhaps my CRT had maybe degraded a little over the years but it still looked fine on everything that I set up on my machine (ie game brightness settings and so on) it was just when looking at screenshots of other people's work that things always seemed too dark.

In fact, I have to say, I think that my new monitor may be too bright. I have turned the brightness down a bit but it has also moved me to use darker skins for forums where I used to prefer light ones and completely white screens (like a new page in MS Word) can be quite blinding.

And yes, these screenshots look perfectly well lit to me.
Pluck101

Post by Pluck101 »

It's probably just my settings because I have a 19'' Widescreen High Def Monitor. Alot of stuff looks really dark on my screen all the time so I guess I'll have to configure it later.
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

ok weeeel, added new video footage, hopefully it's better than the first. See bottom of first post.
(Had to put it in url format because I can't get the youtube tags to work.)

Enjoy!

Another thing:
Enjay wrote:And yes, these screenshots look perfectly well lit to me.
Note that In-game, the atmosphere is a bit dimmer than what the screenshots are displaying (default light settings with standard light mode)
I inteneded to use an average sector light level anywhere between 75 and 110 and make dynamic lights and brightmaps give the player a few points of reference at longer distances (~1024+ mp) which are usually very dim.
But as long as most can at least see the archetecture in the shots, that's fine by me.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:It could just be something like he is using a CRT. I noticed more and more screenshots and mods getting darker whilst I used my CRT as my main monitor until all I could see were black screenshots with the occasional point of light. Then I switched to my new flatscreen and suddenly I realised why: everyone else had been switching to TFTs where such screenshots looks perfectly well lit.

TFT Flatscreens are generally crap for gaming. My CRT is near the end of its life but hell must freeze over before I replace it with one of these hideous abominations. They are fine for working but playing Doom with them is no fun at all!
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

I saw this announced on DoomWorld. Looking forward to seein this released.

EDIT: ZOMG NICE JOB WITH THAT HUD!!!

Return to “Projects”