WIP Sort-of drivable car thing

Talk about our & your projects.
southbird

WIP Sort-of drivable car thing

Post by southbird »

Bear in mind I'm somebody who hasn't really worked with DOOM since the days of DOS, so I'm still catching up on all the fantastic leaps and bounds of (G)ZDoom here. I spent the weekend toying with GZDoom and have created a car of sorts you can get into and drive. It's still kinda dodgy at the moment and you can't get out once you're in among other unfinished business. It's doing a lot of "evil" hackish things like forcing the Player actor into the driver's seat at all times. Still needs a lot of love like sound effects and handling damage and whatnot. I have a not-yet-implemented idea of it using "helper" objects for other effects such as being able to "run things over." As a base I downloaded some random low-poly model car and the skinning is quick and imperfect and the steering wheel is a quick and dirty add-on (and really ugly, but I'm not exactly a graphic designer here.)

Needs a lot of work / love yet, but I'm kind of curious how this stacks up to other efforts to make drivables, and if anyone well-versed in ACS wants to comment on my script work, feel free. This was built under DOOM2 though it ultimately shouldn't depend on it. The ACS script should be also be a library, but for the time being and ease of creation it is only attached to the map, so the car will only operate correctly on the included MAP01 wad.

Uses a lot of the ZDoom 2.4.1 features so you'll need the latest GZDoom.

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/downloads/cartest2.zip
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: WIP Sort-of drivable car thing

Post by Enjay »

Interesting, it actually works reasonably well and, just like every driving game I have played, I suck at it. :P

Seriously, it's a good start but it would need to be a bit more controllable to be truly useful IMO.

Return to “Projects”