GZDoom Crazy RC Cars!

Talk about our & your projects.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

GZDoom Crazy RC Cars!

Post by solarsnowfall »

Everybody loves radio controlled cars, right? What about ones that go 100 mph? This is not finished product. I realise there are a few bugs to be worked out, and much more to be done. I'm invisioning a full mini-mod, with race tracks, weapons, racer AI, and multi play. But for some of that, I NEED HELP! Also, I'm calling it RC Cars for the time being, but it doesn't need to be limited to that concept. As far as I can tell, it only works with the latest version of GZDoom, but I suspect it might work in ZDoom 98 (perhaps not).

Supported Features
  • Additive acceleration.
  • Breaking/Reverse.
  • Simulated steering, not just instantly going left/right.
  • Drift; if you're going 100 mph on a turn, you will slide a bit.
  • MPH calculations. These are used all through out the engine.
Known Bugs
  • Steering can get stuck at times. FIXED At least on all accounts of my testing so far.
  • More as reports come in.
Help Wanted!
  • Script Analysts: These people wouldn't have to acutally do much work or contribute anything to the file, rather, examine what scripting I've done, and suggest imrpovements. I'm looking for wisdom here, as my knowledge in ACS is limited to a "Figure out how-to, as you need it" basis. I'll admit, I don't know everything. If I'm doing something stupidly, I'd like to have someone in my corner letting me know. If you can take a look at what's been done, and offer a suggestion as to how to improve, you are the win. I plan on doing 100% of the actual work.
Before You Play
  • Set your key configuration!
  • This is but a small fraction of what is to come!
  • There are known bugs.
  • Scripts not included. Not how I usually do things, I know, but there is a higher objective in mind with this release.
  • More details to come.
Download

Also, a special thanks to Richard213 for his camera script, and some initial testing.
Last edited by solarsnowfall on Fri Dec 23, 2005 23:13, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Very fun and nifty. If this project goes any further, I think I might be able to do a couple of simple maps for this.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Solar, as the only adult here, I feel I should say something.

Coooooool!
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

All offtopic posts removed. Sorry, looking for help, ideas, and constructive criticism here.
Last edited by solarsnowfall on Fri Dec 23, 2005 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

DIdnt SHadow Warrior have something like this?
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Really? Never seen or heard of it myself.

So, any ideas as to how this should progress? I'm open to any good ideas. I don't know if I'm satisfied with the RC concept. Maybe this could be a racing game of some other sort. For one, I hate the sprites I ripped.

I'll post a version with the fixes I've mad when I get around to it.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Could always make a Road Rash Version, or have the RC Cars with Monster heads popping out of the top, which would therefore designate different car stats and attacks. If you would deem it to go that way.
BioHazard

Re: GZDoom Crazy RC Cars!

Post by BioHazard »

solarsnowfall wrote:Help Wanted!
  • Script Analysts: These people wouldn't have to acutally do much work or contribute anything to the file, rather, examine what scripting I've done, and suggest imrpovements. I'm looking for wisdom here, as my knowledge in ACS is limited to a "Figure out how-to, as you need it" basis. I'll admit, I don't know everything. If I'm doing something stupidly, I'd like to have someone in my corner letting me know. If you can take a look at what's been done, and offer a suggestion as to how to improve, you are the win. I plan on doing 100% of the actual work.
You know where to find me...
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

:) :D :biggrin:

I've got to double down on my commitment to ZDF.wad first, then expect me to be in touch in the new year. Thanks a lot Bio.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

solarsnowfall wrote:Help Wanted!
I also put forth my support in this capacity, and second the "you know where to find me" sentiment.

Also, I apologise to Solar for dragging this out, but for all those people who got the shits up over my other post in this thread, calm down.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Zeg-Vok wrote:DIdnt SHadow Warrior have something like this?
Yes, first level, where you get the silver key.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Sir_Alien wrote:...support...
Rockin'
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Updated steering, sliding, and camera performance. Still not quite 100%.

Download
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Not 100% but still bloody good
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Hey, fun. I encountered a little glitch with steering though - holding a steer key and going from reverse to accelerate tends to screw the camera and steering controls up a bit (especially up against walls).

Return to “Projects”