Known Issues: April 1, 2010

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Known Issues: April 1, 2010

Post by Rex Claussen »

1. All Maps: Scientists were being included in the monster count for each map. Fixed version has been uploaded.
2. Map01: The linedef {#5093 @ (-32, 272)} at the bottom of the ramp near the start is monster blocking. I'm not sure why it was done this way. It's not a big deal, though. Fixed.
3. Map02: The linedefs {#4114 @ (-1104, 5072) & #6268 @ (-3024, 4592)} are part of 2 separate ceiling light sectors. This is the area right after the hole in the floor. These linedefs are flagged with ID = 7, which triggers script 14, which is for the Medic Station in the nearby secret room. These flags probably got copied over from some other map. Fixed.
4. Map02: The radio at the crane is now on the floor (instead of being on the keyboard, where it belongs). Fixed.
5. Map03: There's an M16 clip on a shelf in the guard shack where the Osprey does its fly-by. I couldn't pick up the clip, so I figure it needs to be moved closer to the edge of the shelf. Fixed.
6. Map04: In the laser fusebox area, up on the platform there is a keyboard that needs to be flipped around. Fixed.
7. Map08: In the control room above the prison the shotgun "leaning" against the wall is actually not leaning in the correct direction. Fixed.
8. Dropping weapons turns them into DooM zombies. A model definition needs to be done for the dropped condition of some of the weapons. Fixed.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Known Issues: April 1, 2010

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rex Claussen wrote:8. Dropping weapons turns them into DooM zombies. A model definition needs to be done for the dropped condition of some of the weapons.
Can anyone (Nigel ... hint ... hint ...) give me suitable MODELDEF code to solve this problem? I'll implement it as soon as I get a sample.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

The reason for this bug is because some of the weapons have pickup actors that are not truly the weapon actors. The weapons were never meant to be dropped and so we/I never even thought about giving them models.

The pickups, as far as I can tell, check to see whether you already have the weapon or not and either give you the actual weapon actor or just ammo as appropriate. I'm not sure what the implications of being able to pick up the actual weapon directly will be. - probably just that you get an unusual amount of ammo when you do (probably no ammo). I can't test it ATM but it might be worth dropping and picking up the weapons just to make sure that doing so doesn't increase your ammo amounts (ie to make sure it doesn't allow people to cheat for ammo by doing that). I don't think it will because IIRC, DBT's code was pretty robust and well thought through.

Anyway, all you need to do is check the weapon actor name and double check which sprite it is using for its spawn state, and then add a definition to modeldef for it. Usually this will be the same as (or similar to) the definition that already exists for the pickup version. Scaling may need to be altered but possibly not.

Anyway, by way of an example - the shotgun:

The map-placed version is called "ShotgunPickup" and a modeldef definition already exists for that:

Code: Select all

Model ShotgunPickup
{ 
   Path "Models" 
   Model 0 "shotgun.md3" 
   Skin 0 "shotgun.png"
   Scale 1.0 1.0 1.0

FrameIndex POSS A 0 0
}
The weapon, however, is called "Pshotgun" I think. It has a spawn state that uses the POSSA sprite so this *should* work.

Code: Select all

Model Pshotgun
{ 
   Path "Models" 
   Model 0 "shotgun.md3" 
   Skin 0 "shotgun.png"
   Scale 1.0 1.0 1.0

FrameIndex POSS A 0 0
}
Rinse and repeat for other affected weapons.

I suppose the other option would be to remove the ability to drop weapons. Can that be done? I think there is an actor flag that does something like that. If the weapons were given this flag, the problem would just go away. ;) Of course, that would prevent people sharing weapons in multiplayer.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Excellent! Thanks for the solution and the explanation. Now everything works just as it ought to:

1. Dropping a weapon now drops the model rather than POSS.
2. Picking up a dropped weapon does not increase the player's ammo. In other words, dropping a weapon literally drops only the weapon; any ammo held is retained by the player.
3. This fixes the problem that occurs when a weapon (not weapon pickup) is summoned. Previously, when you summoned a weapon from the copnsole, POSS is spawned, similar to what happens when a weapon is dropped. This is now history.

All issues identified in my post above have been resolved. I am planning to upload the game to idgames, if no one has any objections.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Rex Claussen wrote:if no one has any objections.
Fine by me. :)
DBThanatos
Persecution Complex

Post by DBThanatos »

Rex Claussen wrote:Excellent! Thanks for the solution and the explanation. Now everything works just as it ought to:

1. Dropping a weapon now drops the model rather than POSS.
2. Picking up a dropped weapon does not increase the player's ammo. In other words, dropping a weapon literally drops only the weapon; any ammo held is retained by the player.
3. This fixes the problem that occurs when a weapon (not weapon pickup) is summoned. Previously, when you summoned a weapon from the copnsole, POSS is spawned, similar to what happens when a weapon is dropped. This is now history.

All issues identified in my post above have been resolved. I am planning to upload the game to idgames, if no one has any objections.
No issue here either. However, I think is worth mentioning that the dropped weapon issue could have been resolved in a different way.

[spoiler]The player is never supposed to drop the weapons in the first place, so the other way is to do exactly what I did with other project, use the brand new MENUDEF to define a new "Controls Setup" screen, removing Drop Weapon completely, and not only that, also putting the new keybindings in their appropiate section (i.e. "weapons->reload" instead of in a brand new section "Paranoid options". I think it looks better, but is just a nitpick.

So, overall, I think this issue with the dropped weapon, is something that under non-cheat circumstances, wouldnt happen, that is, if we would've removed the drop weapon key. But once again, is good to have it fixed just in case.[/spoiler]

Now, I just ran the mod again, and my classic problem arose: I still feel the need to change more stuff :P Like for example, assigning a bigger light to the player's "muzzleflash" (to make it more dramatic in low light areas). Adding the new smoke effects I've been using for another mod. Or, adding new and better looking bullet decals:
[spoiler]Image
Some nice decals I managed to get working on gzdoom (from HL2)[/spoiler] But then again, if you let me do that, I wont stop adding/"enhancing" anytime soon :P

Bottom line: Im just letting my "perfectionism" (which is nowhere near to get things closer to "perfect") take over me :evil:
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I think the problem (and it's one I have been guilty of myself) was well described by George Lucas. Regardless of what you think of his enhancing/ruining* the original Star Wars movies with new effects he described it as trying to polish a car bit by bit: you think you only need to do that one little panel, so you polish it. However, once you have done that, the bit next to it doesn't look as shiny as it used to, so you polish that bit. This makes, the next panel along look duller...

Sooner or later, you have to step back and say enough is enough.

Those decals do look nice though.

*delete as appropriate
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

DBThanatos wrote:Now, I just ran the mod again, and my classic problem arose: I still feel the need to change more stuff :P Like for example, assigning a bigger light to the player's "muzzleflash" (to make it more dramatic in low light areas). Adding the new smoke effects I've been using for another mod. Or, adding new and better looking bullet decals.... But then again, if you let me do that, I wont stop adding/"enhancing" anytime soon :P

Bottom line: Im just letting my "perfectionism" (which is nowhere near to get things closer to "perfect") take over me :evil:
DBT, feel free to keep making enhancements. We already know that there's (with a high degree of probability, heh) going to be an expansion pack. We can simply package all the enhancements with the new wad, so that people can simply download the expansion and apply it to the entire game.

Return to “Bug Reports & Suggestions”