Welcome to the New Forum

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

Xaser
Developer
Developer

Re: Welcome to the New Forum

Post by Xaser »

You guys are talking about Dropbox solely for sharing the WIP site, right? There's no way it'd work as a full-on hosting solution since you wouldn't have a real domain name.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Yup, only sharing the actual files for upload, can't use it for preview now too, ever since I've added some scripting :) (It's still all just html, I've added just some php bits to make updates or edits less tedious/time consuming)

I'm done with moving over the content from the old page ( I've included the Hacx 2 page, but no project page for the other doom projects - guess I'd be better to split it from the Hacx page? I can still include it somehow).

I need some screenshots too - both for some new 2.0 content and pre-1.2 shots - I'd use the ones on the site but they're compressed and small. Resolution: from 640x480 up to 800x600, preferably without any scaling. I could do 1.1 shots myself, I can't find that version for download, though, and it seems I've lost my own.

I can post other media too - movies for example.

Also, what would we like to have in download? Obviously the 1.2 release, anything else? I'm not too fond of including the 2.0 alpha, because it's alpha ;) but I'll include it if you guys decide so.

Once I'm home from work, I'll upload the site in it's current state to my FTP, for preview. As of now, the whole thing is 3-4 mb big - it has all the text content from the current site and all the Hacx 2 screenshots (plus the one I've found in the internet archive)
Cage

Post by Cage »

http://kowalczyk.mauft.com/hacx/

Here's the upload on my site, for preview only.
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

I've passed along all the web files I have on Hacx and other Doom projects. Folders include:

hacx - main Hacx website. Online link is http://drnostromo.com/hacx/
hacxOld - Hacx 2 and other project stuff.
Link to the Hacx 2 page is http://drnostromo.com/hacxOld/Hacx2.html
Link to the other stuff is http://drnostromo.com/hacxOld/

My home page is, of course, http://www.drnostromo.com/

Feel free to do whatever you like. Just let me know when to publish. Since the hacx and hacxOld folders on the website have a lot of old junk in them, I'll probably completely delete them just prior to publishing. That should clean things up.
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Cage

Post by Cage »

Ok, after a lot of minor tweaks and nitpicks on my end :P the site and the content is finally done and ready for publishing, the files are being uploaded to dropbox (at the time of writing this post) to the drnostromo.com/NEWhacx folder.
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

The new Hacx site is up. SWEET! Looks very nice.

I'll update my home front page shortly.

One request: Could you add a link in the Hacx site to link back to my main home page?

Thanx

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

At DW i read, that you have sent the files from the Hacx CD to Bzlut3, but a file is corrupted. Have you send him the files a second time? If not, i could copy them from my CD and upload them somewhere.

Oh, and Xaser mentioned that a physical copy of Hacx2.0 as a free giveaway would be nice, if he can afford the costs. I like that idea, maybe this could be part of a winning game. And for the costs, maybe we could share them.
I have looked for prices, and it is a good ammount of money that is needed.
Pressed CDs need an expensive glass master, and as far as i can see, you have to order a minimum of 300 copies. The alternative would be CD-R. Oh, and printworks cost money too.
Cage

Post by Cage »

There's one in the intro text and one in the footer, always visible. It would be unfair not to link to your home page :) I can make the links a bit more visible, underlined like the download links maybe?

I hope I'll be able to donate some money for the CD expenses, you can be sure I'll provide artwork for the CD and printing!

Remember that the digipack release can be very nice too a it's a bit less expensive. But we'll get to that later ;)
Last edited by Cage on Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Oh and one request: I'd like to make a media update in the next month, alongside with a news post - I'll need some screenshots of the new content to open Hacx 2.0 section in the media page - no hud and 800x600 resolution. Preferably some shots from the new, awesome maps you guys work on :)
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

At DW i read, that you have sent the files from the Hacx CD to Bzlut3, but a file is corrupted. Have you send him the files a second time?
Are you talking about the files on the original Hacx CD? I can copy the files into Dropbox ...as long as it doesn't exceed somebody's storage quota. It's 28 megs total.

If Bzlut3 is not connected to DropBox, I can zip them up and put them on my file site and send a link.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The corrupted file was hacx.9 (or whatever the final disk "image") was called. I don't recall if Nostromo tried to resend it, but eventually we decided that his hard disk copy was probably corrupted after all this time and he didn't want to dig up the CD.

I would love to have a working copy though.

Edit: Regarding pressing 2.0 CDs. One thing I would try to do is see if you can squeeze it onto Jim Lynch's sound track CD. I would honestly prefer to see a pressed CD, but whatever can be afforded I guess.
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

Here you go. This is directly off the CD so it should be fine

http://drnostromo.com/misc/Hacx9.zip

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home then (probably some time tomorrow).

Edit: It worked! What are the distribution terms for these files?
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

Note, that the WAD generated from this i "another" WAD than the downloadable v1.1, textures are all renamed, custom maps won't work.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

cybdmn wrote:custom maps won't work.
Actually I think all known custom hacx maps were made for 1.0. At least the one I tried had a ton of missing texture errors when loading with 1.1.

Edit: I'm looking at things more in depth now and I'm not entirely sure it worked right. Editors can't seem to open it, which I guess might make some sense since didn't vanilla need a special tool in order to edit the sprites? But then again the HACX.EXE it produces doesn't seem to start up either. Here's an md5sum of the files:

Code: Select all

3f23e66feb5f0a078a63ad8d95f8890b  HACX.1
0775c31b1e0b3141483edf98371e06d4  HACX.2
658f032e0b07efd80b4aba71123010b1  HACX.3
5b030993e0cff6e892c63e354d276d2a  HACX.4
0da6f17cb3ba49d7fdce8cb0439ca3d6  HACX.5
bb8a2d6ebe400b579d2c3b6b24ccbca3  HACX.6
e84ceeb1fa4a220c47765fa17bdbb7f4  HACX.7
a3ee740afb3a093580bc52bbbdc1a56f  HACX.8
6b8f8e7a9f574dd0c194316f104ac4a3  HACX.9
2aa1e128eb73bbe1fcb6552c3dbc2e85  HACX.DAT

Code: Select all