A simple thank you & questions about Blake Stone

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: A simple thank you & questions about Blake Stone

Post by Blzut3 »

I can definitely see why it's a difficult problem (unlike id tech stuff). As I understand it, build cames come in two parts. The Build Engine and the game module (which btw is how eduke32 is "GPL," only the Duke3D game module is GPL). The game module simply calls rendering functions within the build engine, but otherwise can be completely separate code bases. The build engine doesn't even provide sound so all of that can be cluttering up the unknowns. ;) Would definitely love to see more of the games supported by eduke32 though. Even if the shared code between them is minimal.

Compare that to id tech where companies were provided the source to Wolf3D or Doom to build their game upon. Overall the structure of the game is the same. The Wolf3D engine is a little harder to trace since it has more numeric constants, but at the same time, it's a much smaller code base.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Blzut3 wrote:Doesn't the XL Engine have it mostly reversed engineered at this point? I haven't really been keeping up to date on it.
Chances are there hasn't been anything new since last time you checked; Lucius has mostly been working on Daggerfall anyway.
playerlin

Post by playerlin »

BS:PS source code released!

http://apogeesoftware.com/uncategorized ... ource-code

Sadly, according someone asked, BS:AoG's code is lost. :\

But at least it's good news...
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I wonder who's responsible for that! ;) http://maniacsvault.net/entry62
playerlin

Post by playerlin »

Awesome, hope ECWolf 3.0 will not take too long to release... :P
Dybdal

Post by Dybdal »

Hey everyone!

Read the news about the Planet Strike souce code and Blzut3's work on that port thus far' great news allround.
Just wanted to again give my thanks Blzut3' the work you do means a ton to alot of people' something i fear you dont get to hear to often'

Anyway' your champion' keep up the good work.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Dybdal wrote:something i fear you dont get to hear to often'
Oh believe me, I hear it far more often than I expected. :D Not that I mind hearing it again of course.

On a related note: Development has of course slowed down a bit because of school and other events, but at the moment I don't think I'll be running behind schedule. It's a little hard to say exactly when to expect Blake Stone for ECWolf since Blake Stone made a ton of little changes that are done in a highly memory efficient way. But overall I'm fairly confident I can get it playable next summer.
Dybdal

Post by Dybdal »

Hey blzut3!

Thought it was time to post and ask how the progress with blakestone support is going?

Hope you had a nice Christmas, New Years and the like, and as allways you rock for doing this.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Not much has changed since the last update. I'm a little behind schedule, but I'm still looking to get a mostly functional build shortly following ECWolf 1.4, which I'm still targeting for summer, but it might slip. Besides S3DNA some of the features planned for 1.3 and 1.4 should help with Blake Stone (for example the auto map).
Dybdal

Post by Dybdal »

Hey Blzut3.. awsome new ECWolf build, loving the automap feature in the build.. and quite topical to play though ye oldie Wolf3D with the release of the new Wolfenstein game out on steam (had a chance to check it out yet?)

Anyway hope your great time and here's to hoping you get time to work on Blake Stone support this year.

Have a good one man, ill check in on your progress later this year.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah it was a funny coincidence that I almost released the new S3DNA the same day as the new Wolfenstein game. I had a vacation the week prior and didn't want to do the release when I wouldn't be around to answer comments and what not. I really haven't been following the new Wolfenstein for a few reasons, but I'll be picking it up some time later when the price drops. I like to buy physical products (and by that I don't mean a themed coaster :P) and given that I have no HDMI input on my sound system that would limit me to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions. No sense paying full price for the last gen versions, and if I want it for the PC I'm sure there will be a sale during QuakeCon. Besides it's not available for my PC platform of choice, Linux.

I'll be chipping away at Blake Stone support as previously announced. The big change at this point is just that I have a job now.
Dybdal

Post by Dybdal »

Well i felt the new Wolfenstein was a return to form, felt like a 90's FPS in terms of gunplay but its not really a earth shattering game. (its kinda hub based and i find that unfitting)

And congratz with your job' hope your enjoying it
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

playerlin wrote:BS:PS source code released!

http://apogeesoftware.com/uncategorized ... ource-code

Sadly, according someone asked, BS:AoG's code is lost. :\

But at least it's good news...
I read somewhere that most of the AOG code is commented inside the PS code and some people were able to make it show the episode selection screen with .BS6 data files. Boris Bendovsky already made a good working port of PS. Within the 3rd release I was able to complete the game already. His port is very faithfull to vanilla PS. How about asking him to join this project or at least help in the Blake Stone portion of it? I'm also waiting for Blake Stone support (as well as Corridor 7).
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah, I can assure you there's not a whole lot lost in regards to the AOG source code, and yes there's some of it commented out. I mapped out the entire disassembly. There's not much difference besides the obvious (and even the obvious had some similarities).

I'm always happy if people want to get involved with ECWolf. Although I'm sure Boris has his reasons for going the more direct route. It's up to you to ask though.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

At least PS source is out. Which one is planned to be supported first? AOG or PS? Good thing about PS is that it has features also present in C7 and BC.

Return to “ECWolf”