ECWolf keeps on crashing like there's no tomorrow!

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Ghostbreed

ECWolf keeps on crashing like there's no tomorrow!

Post by Ghostbreed »

Title says it all. I can't save, I can't load, and sometimes I can't even start a new game!
When the port DO work it's awesome but these errors are breaking the fun most of the time.

I'm not using a stable build mind you, I'm playing with latest SVN as I also do with G/ZDoom.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: ECWolf keeps on crashing like there's no tomorrow!

Post by Blzut3 »

There are a few people using the latest builds just fine so I can't say crashing all the time is normal here. So lets go over some potential causes:
  • The mercurial builds are not shipped with the DLLs. You are using the ones provided with the stable build correct?
  • Your Wolfenstein 3D data is up to date and not modified in any way correct? Check the hashes of the file against the wiki.
  • Are you trying to load any mods? The latest development build is not compatible with 1.1.1 mods.
  • Does the stable version work for you?
Also, what are your system specs and what OS are you using? Do you have issues with other SDL games (be it wolf4sdl or something like Eternity Engine)?
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Blzut3 wrote:There are a few people using the latest builds just fine so I can't say crashing all the time is normal here. So lets go over some potential causes:
  • The mercurial builds are not shipped with the DLLs. You are using the ones provided with the stable build correct?
  • Your Wolfenstein 3D data is up to date and not modified in any way correct? Check the hashes of the file against the wiki.
  • Are you trying to load any mods? The latest development build is not compatible with 1.1.1 mods.
  • Does the stable version work for you?
Also, what are your system specs and what OS are you using? Do you have issues with other SDL games (be it wolf4sdl or something like Eternity Engine)?
* First, I downloaded other DLL's from the web and I actually thought that was the case. So I took those from the stable build instead.
* I don't know actually, I'm using the Steam version.
* Nope, no mods. If the mission packs (NOT SOD) doesn't count as one.
* The stable version also crashes.

Windows 7 Pro x64
4GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
GTX 580
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Ghostbreed wrote:I don't know actually, I'm using the Steam version.
You should be fine then unless Bethesda silently decided to change something for the sake of changing something.

Still wouldn't hurt to see if SDL is causing problems for you. Get Wolf4SDL and grab the data files from your steam install. They'll be somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\. Likewise find your doom/doom2.wad and try running them with Eternity Engine. I'll probably need to write a crash catcher to figure out what's going on, but if either of those crash at least I'll know it's not my code.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Which W4SDL build should I use? The Activision or Apogee?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The Activision one.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Wolf4SDL worked just fine. I could play, save and load without any problems.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Just so you don't think I forgot about this thread. Unless you want to try compiling ECWolf yourself I'll need to try to integrate a crash catcher to figure out what's going on. Since the issue happens for you in 1.1.1 and seems to be specific to your computer, I'll still be releasing ECWolf 1.2 later today, so hopefully I'll be able to get a debug build to you shortly thereafter.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

I'm not that good with that kinda stuff, sorry :(
Perhaps 1.2'll work better. Or else I can just play with DOSBox. A shame really since ECW is so much easier to boot up.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I don't think it will solve your problem since you said 1.1.1 crashes as well, but give 1.2.1 a shot since I fixed a crash with saves.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

You were right. Back to DOSBox then, sorry.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

This build should be able to generate a crash log: http://svn.drdteam.org/ecwolf/ecwolf-130619-0754.7z

Return to “ECWolf”