audiomus/audioseq ?

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Gez
Developer
Developer

audiomus/audioseq ?

Post by Gez »

Corridor 7 features, in addition to the usual audiot.co7 and audiohed.co7, audiomus.co7 and audioseq.co7 files. Operation Body Count features audiomus.bc in addition to audiot.bc and audiohed.bc. These two games are missing from the Shikadi modding wiki and I saw nothing about them in the source code of DarkOne's IMFTool 2.0 that was credited on the VGMPF with ripping the music from these games.

Just wondering if you have some info about these files, given your long-term plan for ECWolf does involve supporting these games.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: audiomus/audioseq ?

Post by Blzut3 »

I'm at school so I don't have anything on hand for you, but from a quick look the file seems to contain 8-bit PCM data (I have no headphones atm so take "look" literally). The last 0x2000 bytes are the "header" information. The first 0x1000 segment contains 8-byte structures with some 32-bit value (might be starting segment number) followed by a 32-bit length.

The second 0x1000 bytes starts with 32-bit values counting off by 0x1000 until it reaches the start of this segment. The file seems to in general have a fixed segment size so perhaps these are the offsets to segments of audio. Following that appears to be 16-bit segment lengths.

My copy of Corridor 7 does not have an audioseq file. What release does yours come from and can you md5sum all of your files?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

It's just a shareware version I found somewhere on the Internet.

Code: Select all

CRC-32:
AUDIOHED.CO7:	ba92c4e4
AUDIOMUS.CO7:	2b2db074
AUDIOSEQ.CO7:	d9fe12ef
AUDIOT.CO7:	8c44c704
C7.EXE:	2f7fc5ec
CONFIG.DAT:	26cab4eb
CORR7.BAT:	ddd39331
EXPUNGE.EXE:	4760f61f
GFXINFOV.CO7:	33eb6c2c
GFXTILES.CO7:	1784a198
MANUAL.EXE:	98804f73
MAPTEMP.CO7:	e97e00a8
README:	a00c5144
README.BAT:	544d2e2a
RUN.BAT:	7e63c55e
SEQTWO.CO7:	1c1dc048
SETUP.EXE:	3968a7ac
VGADICT.CO7:	caca8c7f
VGAGRAPH.CO7:	52577ebe
VGAHEAD.CO7:	43dc828b
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Poked at C7 a bit in the disassembler. My guesses about the audiomus appear to be correct. Listening to the stuff in Audacity seems like C7 might used a different sampling rate (Wolf3D uses 7042hz), but I don't have the section needed to confirm that disassembled yet. I've disassembled C7 to the point where the audiomus is being loaded. It uses a hard coded offset to the beginning of the offset table (last 0x1000 bytes) and has a hard coded number of sound chunks. The method I describe in my last post should be reliable for heuristically determining the contents of the file (you can tell where the last chunk offset is since you can assume no offset past the last 0x1000 is valid).

I kind of wonder what they were thinking when they made that file. The format is essentially the same as vswap's digitized sounds (on a related note GFXTILES is a vswap file) down to splitting sounds into 4K chunks. The code that handles loading the file is more or less a cut and paste of the vswap stuff with modifications to handle the hard coding (and of course it only does the sounds portion). My only guess would be if the sample rate is actually different, it was easier to make a custom tool that way.

You appear to have the full floppy version (the demo uses .DMO). AUDIOSEQ is a raw 8-bit PCM sound file. Once again the 7042hz sample rate seems to be slow. Interestingly the file does not appear to be used by the game. At least not by the CD version which I'm disassembling.

Edit: I should mention since you were looking for the IMF music. It seems to be in the audiot like normal.

Edit 2: Found the sample rate. It's 9009Hz.

Return to “ECWolf”