Questions about ECWolf.

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Bloodbat

Questions about ECWolf.

Post by Bloodbat »

Hello, first and foremost, thanks for this great source port, I've tested a number over the years and this is the only one I really like and am using.
I have two questions about it, though. (I'm using 1.2.3 with the Steam version of Wolf 3D and Spear)
Is DeathCam disabled? I finished episode 5 and killed Gretel...and no DeathCam, thinking I somehow skipped it, I cheated my way to Hans, killed him...and no DeathCam either.
Regarding the Steam version autodetection...the game originally refused to start because it was missing maphead.sd4...now, my steam version has (for whatever reason I'm unaware of) gamemaps.sd4 and vswap.sd4 (that are duplicates of the .sd3 files, according to their hashes), it was easily solved by copying maphead.sd3 to maphead.sd4, but...why refuse to even let me play the original Wolf3D if some (apparently unneeded) Spear files are missing, wouldn't it be better to just present the available games and ignore or notify (without preventing entry) about sets of incomplete data?
Thanks.

Bloodbat
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Questions about ECWolf.

Post by Blzut3 »

Bloodbat wrote:Is DeathCam disabled? I finished episode 5 and killed Gretel...and no DeathCam, thinking I somehow skipped it, I cheated my way to Hans, killed him...and no DeathCam either.
Gretel and Hans do not have the Deathcam. Instead they drop the gold key which then leads to a room with the "BJ running" sequence. All other bosses in Wolf3D have the deathcam.
Bloodbat wrote:Regarding the Steam version autodetection...
This is just a packaging error by id. On a fresh install, just run the original mission through Steam to set your data to an unmodified state (you just need to start the game up, you don't need to play it). Once you do so ECWolf will properly recognize the data. To make a long story short, vanilla Wolf does not support mods in any form so the expansion packs actually swap out the data into the .sod files.

ECWolf has code to correct this, but since Steam installs the game to Program Files it doesn't work. This will be fixed in 1.3 since I reorganized things so that I can do a virtual file system.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Ohh I see...thanks :)
I did run the Spear of Destiny from Steam beforehand...didn't work, however, duplicating the file did.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Odd. If you do that from a clean install it should definitely work. Sounds like you have it working, but the official manual instructions would be to just rename your .sd1 files to .sod if I recall correctly. If done correctly you should have the files laid out on the wiki. Your sd3 files won't have the same md5sum since id ships the version with Doom texture rips (from what I gather the formgen releases always used their own textures) on the final level, but the sod and sd2 files should match.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

The .sd1 and .sd2 files match...not all of the .sod files do
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

The .sod files are what vanilla Spear will use. You can delete them entirely and replace them with copies of the corresponding .sd1 files.

The .sd1 files are copies of Spear of Destiny's .sod files; likewise .sd2 are copies of Return to Danger's .sod files, and the .sd3 are copies of The Ultimate Challenge's .sod files. The .sd4 files are odd; they are not present in the Steam installation. They might have come from a mod or port you've tried previously I'm not sure why ECWolf even looked at them.

Return to “ECWolf”