Poor performance on Mac

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Tomb

Poor performance on Mac

Post by Tomb »

For some reason, ECWolf performs really poorly on my system with run at my desktop resolution. I don't see why this could be a problem, as my system isn't all that bad. Is there something wrong with the current version? Or is it my system? I'll list my system specs below. Thanks!
System: Mac Mini 2009
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB
Resolution: 20-inch 1680x1050
Nokiaman

Re: Poor performance on Mac

Post by Nokiaman »

Do you have the Nvidia drivers up-to date? Unless OS X handles it differently. Otherwise your specs look fine. ECWolf is mostly CPU intensive.
You might want to check older versions as it can be regression as you said.
Tomb

Post by Tomb »

Nokiaman wrote:Do you have the Nvidia drivers up-to date? Unless OS X handles it differently. Otherwise your specs look fine. ECWolf is mostly CPU intensive.
You might want to check older versions as it can be regression as you said.
Considering the age of my computer, I think the drivers may be as updated as they can be. Checking older versions seemed to fix the problem. But I also tried the most recent nightly version and that also ran smooth. So it seems it may have been fixed in the nightly versions, and may be introduced properly in the next full release. This is just guessing, of course. Thanks for the help. Highly appreciated.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The latest nightly builds have SDL2 which drastically improved blitting speed on OS X.

That said I still consider Core 2s to basically be 720p machines. ECWolf should get faster in time though. Right now the Mac I use for development is the Late 2009 Mac Mini (nearly the same as yours) and that gets 50fps @ 1600x1200. I expect that yours will do about the same at 1680x1050 maybe a little worse.
Tomb

Post by Tomb »

Blzut3 wrote:The latest nightly builds have SDL2 which drastically improved blitting speed on OS X.

That said I still consider Core 2s to basically be 720p machines. ECWolf should get faster in time though. Right now the Mac I use for development is the Late 2009 Mac Mini (nearly the same as yours) and that gets 50fps @ 1600x1200. I expect that yours will do about the same at 1680x1050 maybe a little worse.
That's pretty neat. Well thanks for the information. Glad to hear it.

Return to “ECWolf”