I need help identifying sprite names in ECWolf

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

LkMax

I need help identifying sprite names in ECWolf

Post by LkMax »

I know there's a few files inside ecwolf.pk3 with names of wolf, spear and sd2/sd3 data, but aside from textures, there's no commentary at all about the sprites and, despite figuring out very few, it's hard to know what names represents what sprites.
Is there a list somewhere or a way for me to identify them?

E.g.
in Wolf3D:
CAG1A0 => empty cage
CAG2A0 => skeleton cage
TABLA0 => table without chairs
TCHRA0 = > table and chairs
etc.

I need a full list for Spear and it's mission packs for my purpuse, I don't know how to extract sod and wl6 data and I don't know the name of all the files.
Anybody willing to help?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: I need help identifying sprite names in ECWolf

Post by Rachael »

Use Slade 3. I don't know if it's aimed to be a universal game archive manipulator, but it certainly is on the path to becoming it. It opens .WL6 files just fine. Just drag-n-drop.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Eruanna wrote:It opens .WL6 files just fine. Just drag-n-drop.
Whaaaaat? I'm surprised, it actually work with most of the files (some crashed Slade but I didn't expect to open any of them).
Although it doesn't help to associate sprites to ECWolf names because it only appears as SPR00001, SPR00002, etc, while ECWolf defines different names.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

The sprites have no names in the VSWAP files. Internally, Wolf addresses them by index. So in SLADE 3 they'll get names like SPR00049 (which means it's the 50th sprite, since the first is SPR00000). Then you need to cross-reference that with the relevant map file from ecwolf.pk3 (depending on which VSWAP you're looking: wl1map.txt for Wolf demo, wl6map.txt for full Wolf, sodmap.txt for Spear of Destiny, sd2map.txt for Return to Danger, sd3map.txt for The Ultimate Challenge). There, you'll find several lists of entries, the one you'll want is the "sprites" block. So for example, the 50th sprite in Return to Danger is BUBLA0, so there you go, SPR00049 = BUBLA0, and indeed it's those weird blue bubbles.

Unfortunately, they aren't numbered, so it can be easy to make mistakes. If you're using an advanced text editor it's always possible to automatically replace ",\t" by ",\n\t" so that each entry is on one line, then remove the empty lines and you can use the editor's line numbering.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Thanks, that should do it, I'll try to order them here.

Return to “ECWolf”