Rampage!

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Rampage!

Post by Rex Claussen »

Part of the reason for my silence these past few weeks is a new endeavor upon which I've embarked. About a month ago Pascal van der Heiden (known by his trademark 'CodeImp') asked me to join his project team for a new game he's developing, Rampage M. (M is for Mercury, where the game is played out.) Since then I've been familiarizing myself with the tools and the concepts, and have completed a demo map. The development process is quite different from that of DooM, and there is a great deal of collaboration required among the game designers, level designers (of which I am one), environment & texture artists, etc. Also, because this is not an FPS game (first-person shooter, for those casual visitors to this site who don't give a rat's ass for computer games), but a top-down shooter, I have to approach level design with a completely different perspective. Needless to say, I am having a blast. The members of the Team are very talented, and the game will surely be a hit. Here is a teaser/promo video (which features some of the areas I developed for my demo map).

The URL links for this video on YouTube are here or here.
CodeImp

Re: Rampage!

Post by CodeImp »

Good to see you enjoy it! :D
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Rampage!

Post by Rex Claussen »

There are some significant differences in the mapping mechanics too. For example, there is no scope for the use of "void space" within a map's boundaries. This makes for some mapping challenges not found in DooM. Slopes are also handled differently, but in my opinion it's more versatile in Rampage. Additionally, surface mapping is supported, allowing for "rough" or irregular vertical surfaces (such as rock walls).

Return to “News”