Compiling QZDoom - Now requires extra libraries

Truecolor ZDoom with extra features and some unofficial/beta GZDoom features.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Libs (Win)] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Rachael
Developer
Developer

Compiling QZDoom - Now requires extra libraries

Post by Rachael »

Once the llvm branch is merged, compiling your own copy of QZDoom will from now on require a copy of the LLVM libraries.

LLVM is a pretty major project, and it didn't seem reasonable to require every person to compile their own copy of it - so to save some time, the libraries have been provided for us (courtesy of dpJudas): http://qzdoom.drdteam.org/download/development/

A quick explanation of the files: If you are only doing compiles, you will only need the 32/64bit libraries.

However, if you plan to do any serious development, you should get the "everything" archive, as it contains all the files for both debug and release builds of both 32-bit and 64-bit windows.

For other platforms, this may not pose much of an issue as the platform's repository/code manager should still be able to get these libraries for you.

If you have any questions, please reply to this thread.
ConSiGno

Re: Compiling QZDoom - Now requires extra libraries

Post by ConSiGno »

Homebrew says the following about LLVM:

Code: Select all

==> Caveats
LLVM executables are installed in /usr/local/opt/llvm/bin.
Extra tools are installed in /usr/local/opt/llvm/share/llvm.
To use the bundled libc++ please add the following LDFLAGS:
  LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/llvm/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/opt/llvm/lib"

This formula is keg-only, which means it was not symlinked into /usr/local.

macOS already provides this software and installing another version in
parallel can cause all kinds of trouble.
This makes it sound like installing llvm is a bad idea. given that I use clang regularly, will I run into any problems?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Running "brew install llvm-dev" hasn't caused any side effects here.

I think that message is saying that it didn't symlink it into the usual search paths because macOS already has the llvm executables installed. It is warning you that you shouldn't attempt to do that yourself because that will break the OS.

You have to specify on the command line when running cmake where to locate LLVM. That's the only thing you have to do besides the above brew install command.
ConSiGno

Post by ConSiGno »

For future reference - what exactly is that flag? I'm going to make an attempt to compile qzdoom on ubuntu 16.04 LTS with linuxbrew.

Return to “QZDoom”