I may have done something a wee bit crazy...

Truecolor ZDoom with extra features and some unofficial/beta GZDoom features.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Libs (Win)] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Rachael
Developer
Developer

I may have done something a wee bit crazy...

Post by Rachael »

https://github.com/raa-eruanna/zandronum

No I haven't tried to compile it yet. I am a bit afraid to touch it. :P
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: I may have done something a wee bit crazy...

Post by dpJudas »

Qandronum? One Doom to bind them all? :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Close - I actually named it "qzandronum."

It's the 4.0 branch though.

In other words, it won't see the light of day until 2026. :P
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I actually find it kind of cool how well git does upstream and cross merging like this. I can't begin to imagine the trouble you would have had to go through to do this with Subversion.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Indeed.

Someone else could probably literally take my merge commit to apply the TC renderer and merge it with Zan3.0 in Hg, there will be some issues that have to be resolved, but otherwise I bet you a working TC renderer would be available for Zan3.0 by the next release. :P

If they want it, I am sure they'll take it. I don't know how you feel about it, but I have no problem with their team taking what little code I've put in.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I'm happy as long as people find my source code useful. To me, half the fun is to see people use it and them having fun with it.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Agreed. :) I'd be eager to see how their community takes that if they do take it. There's still a lot of them who are stuck with the software renderer because they can't use OpenGL.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Yes, it is always fun if something you did solved some big issue for someone. There are probably are few of those using the sofware renderer that would really rather use GL if they could. Overall, though, my reason to code on the TC renderer is mostly curiousity. It makes me smile to see it reach close to 200 FPS at 1920x1080 in some situations.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Well this certainly won't replace GZDoom for those people, but at least they can enjoy something. :)

And yes, it is quite nice, I get 350~ FPS in E1M1. :)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I don't follow Zan's development too closely but has there been any interest on their end to integrate the TC renderer into their development codebase? Seeing Zandronum have a TC renderer sure would be a spectacle to behold!
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

4+ years ago when they were still running Skulltag there were still a lot of folks who couldn't use GZDoom, but wanted to. I've distanced myself so much from that community though, I have no idea what the numbers of that look like right now.

The development team has not been expressly interested in true-color stuff, themselves, though, as far as I know - in fact, I think other than Torr there isn't even much of a heavy interest in GZDoom.

So this renderer would definitely benefit the community, but it probably won't make it into an official Zandronum build soon enough to make much of a difference for them.

Last I checked, no one even brought it up, despite the new source port being posted on Doomworld even.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I just updated this.

Amazingly, the original tree has not been updated since I did the original clone/checkout, and no one has even mentioned its existence (or QZDoom's, for that matter) on the Zandronum forum. I'm guessing there's little to no interest in this, or if there is there isn't anyone who cares enough to see it happen.

At the very least, though, I can say I did it. /shurg

I would have been happy to work with Torr Samaho about integrating it into the existing Zandronum tree for the next release, if he were interested. I know that will take some effort, though, since Zandronum's current dev code is 100% pre-revamp.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

If the Zandronum community is as conservative as the rest, the LLVM dependency will be a deal breaker for them anyway. :)

By the way, there's a compile error in master at the moment: src\win32\hardware.cpp(177): error C2065: 'vid_forceddraw': undeclared identifier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

dpJudas wrote:If the Zandronum community is as conservative as the rest, the LLVM dependency will be a deal breaker for them anyway. :)
Torr's more daring, but he spends a lot more time keeping things stable than the ZDoom devs do. As a result, him pulling code like this is usually only done when there's a heavy demand for it. But you're right - LLVM could put a wrench into that very quickly.
dpJudas wrote:By the way, there's a compile error in master at the moment: src\win32\hardware.cpp(177): error C2065: 'vid_forceddraw': undeclared identifier
Fixed. >_> Sorry.
Edward-san
Developer
Developer

Post by Edward-san »

I think we can discuss about this after 3.0 is released, as long as we don't forget about it :P

Return to “QZDoom”