30 seconds, and crash 2: electric boogaloo

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Wivicer

30 seconds, and crash 2: electric boogaloo

Post by Wivicer »

So I know I said updating my OS fixed the problem with crashing, but it happened again. I was playing with johnnydoom.pk3 and dump-3.pk3, on the hubmap. As soon as I entered the temple of benellus and the soundclip played, the game froze. a few seconds later, the music stopped and it crashed back to the desktop. I'm on a Mac.
Spoiler: error log
My GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: 30 seconds, and crash 2: electric boogaloo

Post by Graf Zahl »

Same thing. It crashes deep in the operating system when swapping OpenGL buffers,
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

So this is an operating system failure?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Or a driver failure. You're using an AMD, and as good as the graphics cards typically are, the drivers are usually crap, especially with OpenGL.

But let's wait until another programmer has a chance to look at this, before we dismiss it, first.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Well, there's nothing for it. Guess I'll install Sierra.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Eruanna wrote:Or a driver failure. You're using an AMD, and as good as the graphics cards typically are, the drivers are usually crap, especially with OpenGL.

But let's wait until another programmer has a chance to look at this, before we dismiss it, first.

This is Mac not Windows. Since large parts of the GL backend are developed or dictated by Apple it's quite a bit different than on Windows.
But be it as it may, it's something I cannot investigate so unless other people have the same problem and can help out, this will unfortunately not be fixable.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

I've done a bit of experimenting, and it only seems to crash with mods that are ACS-heavy.

Who works on the mac builds?

Also, to be honest, I know it belongs in the Technical Support forum, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people visit this forum, so this topic is probably going to be ignored.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it remains in the bugs forum, it's going to disappear eventually because I cannot keep technical issues beyond my capability to fix in there.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

AMD drivers for macOS are even worse than Intel. By the way I'm experiencing Intel GPU hang on clean installation of Sierra, usually once a day. GZDoom doesn't crash but stalls for a few seconds. Never had this problem with El Capitan.

Could you please try to run with -glversion 2 command line switch? I'm curious will it change something or not.
Do you have vsync enabled? Is there any other graphics related option changed from its default value?

Also, could you check Console.app from Utilities for reports about GPU driver crashes? I don't have Mac with AMD GPU so I cannot say exactly in what category they are located. I guess it should be System Diagnostic Reports.

EDIT: As a desperate measure you can try to use integrated Intel GPU. Set vid_autoswitch to zero and restart GZDoom. It shouldn't switch to discrete GPU automatically (of course if you didn't force usage AMD hardware in settings).
Actually I'm quite interested in performance tests on Intel HD 3000.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

_mental_ wrote: Actually I'm quite interested in performance tests on Intel HD 3000.
I could give you those, when I get back to my workplace next week. But from what I remember it was rather pathetic the last time I tested it with an old version of yours.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I'm interested in performance using Core Profile. I released only Legacy Profile builds from my obsolete fork.
For the same reason I asked to check using -glversion 2 switch to narrow down potential cause of the crash.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

using glversion 2 seems to fix the problem, at least for now. I also tried enabling graphics switching (I had it disabled), and it seems much more stable. I still get better performance with glversion 2.

Return to “Technical Support”