Random white dots on textures in current GZDoom 2.2

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

GalenKnight56

Random white dots on textures in current GZDoom 2.2

Post by GalenKnight56 »

I am currently experiencing random white dots on textures while playing in GZDoom 2.2, and this is while the rendering is set to Quality instead of Speed. This is especially noticeable on dark textures. When I go back to GZDoom 1.9.1, this problem does not exist at all no matter which settings I use. In the latest version, I have to force anti-aliasing through Nvidia to reduce the dots, though they still show up. I should note that I am using Nvidia 550 ti card. Is this a problem with GZDoom 2.2 itself or is it with my card?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Random white dots on textures in current GZDoom 2.2

Post by dpJudas »

Please make sure you're running the latest Nvidia drivers (not sure if you already do). If that doesn't help, post a screenshot of those dots to give us an idea of how they look like.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Introduced shadow topics for this thread - hopefully the thread author will find the right place to put this type of issue.

(@ mods: feel free to remove said shadows after a day or so)
---> Correct Forum

Shadows: here and here.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have the same hardware but no such problem. I'm afraid it sounds like a hardware defect. Can you try making a screenshot?
GalenKnight56

Post by GalenKnight56 »

I already have the latest drivers installed, and it seems that every time I try to get a screenshot, the white dots don't show up on the image. I also just tried this on the 32 bit version and I am not getting this problem there as long as I have multisample set to 8x. Am I supposed to crank up antialiasing to reduce the white dots?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. But if they do not appear in the screenshots it's even more of an indicator that something is wrong with the hardware here. All the screenshot code does is reading back the framebuffer, so that seems to be free of the error.

What happens if you enable/disable vsync, or change screen size, switch between windowed and fullscreen?
GalenKnight56

Post by GalenKnight56 »

Tried those settings and still had the same issue. I guess I should also note that I saw the same issue in the game Morrowind though in that case the white dots were caused by enabling anti-aliasing through MGEXE. Back to the topic, however, I guess you could be right about this being a hardware problem considering that I have stressed this video card for the past 5 years. However, this is not an issue in GZDoom 1.9.1 and is significantly less of an issue in the 32 bit version of the latest GZDoom version. Do you have any idea why that is?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. That's a bit odd that it's this selective
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Morrowind uses Direct3D rendering, so it's going to be hard to find a common point between it and GZDoom 2.2.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Had the same problem as well on a 750 ti. Like the OP, the only way I could remove the white dots was to set a form of anti aliasing on. Setting fxaa quality to low or setting multisample to 2x was enough to get rid of them. The problem doesn't occur when using Zandronum 3.0 so I don't think it's an issue with the hardware. What's funny is that prior to 2.2, I would still get the same white dots though the frequency of them was less severe than using 2.2 official or the 2.3 dev builds.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Yeah, i starting to have this problem too with 2.2 version! GTX 970 with latest drivers (376.33).
I remembered beating Doom 1&2 with gzdoom 1.9(something) and not having this problem..

Return to “Technical Support”