GZDoom 2.3.2 Freezeup / Crash with Project Brutality 2.03?

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Dr. Shadowborg

GZDoom 2.3.2 Freezeup / Crash with Project Brutality 2.03?

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Hello everybody, I don't know if this is supposed to go into the github bugtracker as I don't have very much data to go with it.

Hardware Configuration:

Pentium M - 2.13ghz
Windows XP SP3
1gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64mb (Latest Catalyst Drivers for this graphics card) (OpenGL 2.0 is supported, but not OpenGL 3+)

Vanilla Doom 2 (no mods) works just fine, however when running Project Brutality v2.03:

1. Game starts just fine, however the moment I shoot, the skybox goes all corrupt. (appears to be all mixed up polygony / triangley, stays corrupt too when starting a new game)
2. Whenever I shoot something living / kill it, the game freezes up and has to be killed via Task Manager.
3. Texture Filters don't always display some textures properly (grey)

I've tried running it in software mode where it:
1. crashes normally without any messages (when loading the project brutality "splash" map) O_o
2. when started via +map map01 commandline the mod works just fine.

Any ideas, or is the hardware I'm running it on too poopy?

Thanks in advance.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: GZDoom 2.3.2 Freezeup / Crash with Project Brutality 2.03?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly this old ATI hardware is known to have problems. From the looks of it, the support of OpenGL 2.0 is rather spotty with those drivers, it appears that a few things have been very poorly implemented, and GZDoom seems to use some of them.
Dr. Shadowborg

Re: GZDoom 2.3.2 Freezeup / Crash with Project Brutality 2.03?

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Hrm, thats what I figured. I'll just work around it using the software + commandline for now.

Anyway, thank you for the reply and troubleshoot! :D

Return to “Technical Support”