deh / bex override

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Jamesff

deh / bex override

Post by Jamesff »

I have been playing the pwad invasion.wad with freedoom pahse one via GZDoom (latest version) and have noticed (by checking the console output) that the FreeDoom iwad's deh / bex lump loads last, overriding the pwad's accompanying deh file, which loads before the iwad's lump. There is nothing wrong with the invasion.deh file, and it is last in the load order, so why is it loading after the iwad's deh/bex lump?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: deh / bex override

Post by Graf Zahl »

Do you have a link to the mod?
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I guess it's about this one.

However the problem seems to be unrelated to particular PWAD. It's caused by presence of DEHACKED lump in IWAD.
The latter is processed twice and the second one overwrites entries patched by standalone .deh file.
Jamesff

Post by Jamesff »

Yeah, I think that's it, _merntal_.

And the problem is unrelated to that pwad or its deh file. When I play them with Ultimate Doom, the pwad's deh file is not overwritten; that only happens with FreeDoom.
Jamesff

Post by Jamesff »

One additional note: I have discovered that the bex patch in Freedoom.wad / Freedoom2.wad is only installed last if a standalone bex/deh patch with altered strings is loaded.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I changed DEHACKED loading a bit. Lumps from IWAD now have precedence over separate files and lumps from PWADs.
Jamesff

Post by Jamesff »

Shouldn't the standalone deh/bex file or PWAD lump be loaded have precedence over and therefore overwrite the IWAD's lump?
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

By precedence I mean that one lump is loaded before another. IWAD's lump is loaded first, then separate file(s), and then lump(s) from PWAD. Each next lump may override changes done by previous one.
Jamesff

Post by Jamesff »

Oh, OK. That should be fine.

Return to “Technical Support”