GZDoom slow after Windows Update KB4015583

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

gwHero

GZDoom slow after Windows Update KB4015583

Post by gwHero »

Hi, I just experienced that Windows Update KB4015583 totally fucks up GZDoom, at least on my PC (windows 10). It's a security Update that was installed yesterday and after that GZDoom's performance was dropped from outstanding to painfully slow. Tried several possibilities like restarting, disabling anti-virus and all, but guess what? Only after uninstalling the security update everything was working smoothly again.

So if anyone encounters this problem too, just get rid of the update. It helped me.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: GZDoom slow after Windows Update KB4015583

Post by Enjay »

I've actually just reported the following to the ZDoom forum. It relates to the major "1703 'Creator's Update'" to Windows 10 but it seems relevant to this thread and KB4015583 is probably rolled into the major update anyway.
Enjay wrote:Well, my machine just popped up and told me that there was an update and asked me to review my privacy settings. I set them as they were before and then updated. It took a little while but it went pretty smoothly. As far as I can tell, all associations and program-specific settings are still in place. Firefox is still my default browser, Textpad still opens my text files, MPC still plays my media files etc etc.

The only obvious glitch I have discovered so far is that GZDoom and other OpenGL programs didn't work (GZDoom froze when going to full screen, some other programs seemed to be starting but just then just dropped me back to the desktop). I restarted; no change. I opened up nVidia 's GeForce experience and checked for a new driver (there wasn't one) but doing this seems to have been enough to resolve the issue and all my OpenGL programs/games work again. :dunno:
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd guess that this update somehow managed to disable some stuff and the graphics driver had to reset what got broken.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Thanks for letting know. On my machine the KB4015583 was installed first. It was only after starting the download of the Creator's update that I noticed GZDoom did not work well. First I blamed the download in the background, but after the OS update, GZDoom still did not work fine. Uninstalling KB4015583 repaired it. Pity I forgot to try QZDoom to check if it was OPENGL related.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You don't need to check QZDoom for non-openGL stuff anymore, simply switch the renderer using the command prompt ("vid_renderer 0") or menus ("change rendering output" under options)
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Rachael wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:21 You don't need to check QZDoom for non-openGL stuff anymore, simply switch the renderer using the command prompt ("vid_renderer 0") or menus ("change rendering output" under options)
Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Technical Support”