Hosting info

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

This is just a reminder for Apothem, KillingBlair, KingofFlames, solarsnowfall and Lutrov71: I want to see a update in a week or two!
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Heh, no prob, as soon as I can get my screenshot page up :)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Dang, I shouldn't have uploaded all that stuff at once, I should have used it as a keepalive feed when I'm short on updates :)
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

DRD Team, after an exchange of the moderators and site's admin has decided that the rule braking sites are to be removed from DRD Team's server.
Those were the following sites:
  • apothem.drdteam.org
  • killingblair.drdteam.org
  • kingofflames.drdteam.org
  • solarsnowfall.drdteam.org
  • lexusalyus.drdteam.org
The biggest rule that has been broken by these sites is a lack of updates over a long period of time. It has been decided the sites will be removed not to clutter up space. As ugly as it may sound, I can only say that we're sorry, hosting of the drdserver is not freeware, whereas DRD Team doesn't take any profit from it's hostees, so the rule is the stuff is required to be something worth a visit and have some real content. KoF's and Killingblair's unfortunately fail here, as there's basically no content aside from words (i.e. wads, picutres, whatever).

That said, I'm also sad to announce Lexus Alyus, a member of DRD Team has quited Doom (as he has informed me) and most likely won't be present on our boards, or, at least, not as frequent as he used to. Wether his final project will be released or not is a matter of question. We will surely miss a great musician, though!
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Please define "a long period of time".

Sad about Lexus, he was cool to have around.
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

long time period > 3 months
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'll only add these guys were warned before that happened and there was little to no reaction. Indeed it's a pity.

EDIT:
I'll also add that once the sites' managers have some REAL content to show with the next update, it'll be reconsidered to bring them back, most likely, with a positive outcome ;)
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

damn...I finally had something to put up to :roll:
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Paul wrote:once the sites' managers have some REAL content to show with the next update...
I guess that could have been a little more insulting, if it were worded differently.

You know that weather effects pack I put up has been used in at least one other released wad I know of, and is planned to be used in at least four other wads currently in production, and of those four, two are major projects. Exactly what criterea needs to be met for one to justly call their work 'REAL' content anyway? :glare:

I now realise my original webpage design was convoluted, making it a pain to update. So what I ended up with was a forum that was much more up to date than the actual site. Another problem is my lack of experience with php. This would have been rectified however, with a much more flexible web design, which I had uploaded in a special folder, awaiting an actual update to impliment. I would have just copied the information to and from, without having to worry about all the problems I would have had to work around before.

That being said, I have been working closely with the likes of bot Bio Hazard and Enjay for an up coming release. With the advent of GZDoom, and the simple fact that ZDoom has come so far, I was working on a pack of 'special effects' which includes several things mappers can use for more up to date and modern decoration of levels. This included 'particle' effects like realistic torches, sparks, fountains, smoke, a complete set of monster projectile replacements and a few other things that would greatly improve upon (that seems to be the general consensus of those I've been working with: See above) what mappers have available to them for our more modern source ports.

Sensing a bit of urgency in needing to update my site, I have been working quite feverishly on the first wad that will feature a portion of these. I would have gotten this done much sooner, but between working full time, and my work on ZDForumsDotWad, finding time has become difficult. I, in fact, had planned on updating the site on Sunday. But you know what? I couldn't get the wad up to 100%, and I wasn't about to update for some frivolous reason. So now we arrive at the current state of affairs...

But now I'm forced to question weather my efforts are even worth the trouble, if this isn't the kind of thing you consider 'REAL' content. Since my apparently insignificant content thus far doesn't pass muster, why should I think anything else I can do will? It's not like I'm maintaining a source port, or releasing my own applications, or working on KDIZD...

[edit] The sites removed weren't the only ones out of date...
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

In defense of solar, blair, and others, I'm going to lend less subtlety to solars ending.'
solarsnowfall wrote:The sites removed weren't the only ones out of date...
Thats because the other unupdated sites belong to DRD team members, and, get this, they have this magical exemption. Awesome, I know.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

3 months? I just updated it last week, the What's New part of the site probably threw everybody off (Which I should have took Hobbs' advice and updated it).

Well, I guess I'm going to have to find a new host. :( Did you permanently delete the content?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Hobbs wrote:Thats because the other unupdated sites belong to DRD team members, and, get this, they have this magical exemption. Awesome, I know.
They pay for the webspace. I think that's a pretty good reason.
Paul

Post by Paul »

BioHazard wrote: They pay for the webspace. I think that's a pretty good reason.
Exactly.

Solar-you, most likely, were the guy with the most valuable content, therefor it has been moved from your site to the projects area. You've been warned on updating your site at least 2 times. Next time, tell us you have problems with management of the site and most likely the admin will help you set it up well ;) and tell us if your real life is at real crisis (if it is) or ask for just another week. Really, we're not tyrants. You know where to get us, PM us for a chat on IRC, ICQ we got, drop us a mail. All can be talked over, unfortunately though, lacking a contact makes us feel like you didn't care.

You I'm looking forward to have back above other sites and my respect for your deeds in this community has never stopped growing, if I can soft the situation a bit and I always tought of you as an intelligent person, in comparsion to some other people.

In terms of lacking content I honestly meant KoF's and Killingblair's sites. Yours and Apothems (and Lexus's) had wads and proper contents for that matter. Lexus is out of the community so the reason is there. Apothem hasn't updated in a long time.
3 months? I just updated it last week, the What's New part of the site probably threw everybody off (Which I should have took Hobbs' advice and updated it)
Really? Looks like something has gone messed up here :? Another conversation needed.. great. Perhaps it was the lack of contents on your site. Did you have anything besides words? That's a rule too please keep in mind.

Honestly, the situation can be redeemed with an update with contents (KoF, Killingblair) or just an update for sites that did have contents (Solar, Apothem) to bring you guys back online. I hope this situation will be more of a lesson to keep in touch with your friendly neighborhood DRD dudes ;)
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

BioHazard wrote:They pay for the webspace. I think that's a pretty good reason.
Right. I pay for everything (not any of you ;)). Remember, it's a privilege to be hosted here, not a right.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Paul wrote:Did you have anything besides words? That's a rule too please keep in mind.
Yeah, I had all of my released wads on that space, and my (1) released program. And stuff that could be downloaded elsewhere, I linked to. (To not waste space.)

Return to “General”