DOOM 4 Definite

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
ChupaReaper

DOOM 4 Definite

Post by ChupaReaper »

For Doom 4:
-The Arachnotrons and the Spider Mastermind (can't believe these weren't in Doom 3), some people want rid of the Trites but I think they should stay, maybe they could crawl out of the brains of the Spider Mastermind, that would be good.
-A new weapon, Sniper Rifle, Demonic weapons?
-Keep the small dark corridoors of Doom 3 but vary a bit with large outdoor scenes (saying as it's on earth), some demon invaded streets and of course, the bowls of hell!
-I like the PDA RPG semi-freeroaming style gameplay, but it does get a bit boring, so mixing it with some immense wars against hordes of hell and classic run and gun moments.
-More demons, both in species and in how many you encounter at a time, sometimes an imp sneaking up behind you is good, but after a while, they become not so important thus, 50 imps blasting their way into a building would add that respect back to the bastards.
-More multiplayer, with LAN/Online deathmatch and what Doom 3 was seriously lacking, CO-OP.
-Oh and what happened to the Pain Elemental?
The_Funktasm

Post by The_Funktasm »

I think ID should realize that Doom is a one time thing. The time period, creators, and team came together in a way they'll never be able to recreate. Besides, John Romero is off the ID team, he brought a great charisma to the team.

Aside from that, the style was off. The demons had a classic style in Doom, like the demons you'd hear of in a book from hundreds of years ago, but with their own twists. Doom 3 made demons look like aliens and mutants instead.

Gone, it seems are Phobos and Deimos, Episodes one and two, respectively. Missing, it seems, are the vastly different levels, some twisting and cavernous, some wide open and exposed. Also gone is the feeling I get from the original. A proud "Look what us guys made" feeling.

It's something that makes Doom unique, and no matter how many times they try to get it right, I think that only the fans will get it right.

Sorry if that seems off topic, but I think Doom 3 was a mistake, and shouldn't have been called Doom 3, as it was a remake, not a sequel.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

What should be in Doom 4?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They should release it on a blank DVD-RW, with a plain white box, and tell the consumer, "You want Doom 4 the way YOU want it? Make your own damned Doom 4 then!"
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Agreed. They should forget about digging up Doom(2) and reworking it. They already made a mediocre game of Doom3 and we all know they are doing it because it's a simple, guaranteed cash-cow. They're just playing safe and being very unimaginative. They should actually make something new, interesting and fun.
ChupaReaper

Post by ChupaReaper »

I agree that they can't keep that classic Doom feal, as with all games, but I would like to see a Doom 4 as I do get bored of the same thing and like to see a new twist within old things, if you get what I'm saying!
A screenshot I saw of one of the new enemies was some mutant with mechanical legs, which I am sick of seeing, for me, I hated the zombies in Doom, because they're lame and have always liked the demons more, the mechanics are good for the likes of the Spider Mastermind of course, maybe if they made the mechanics less human but not alien. It would be better if the technology wasn't futuristic but more like todays standard, and that it was all in the city on earth or within the bowels of hell rather than hi tech space bases and that the demons were more mythical, the Hell Knight should have hoofs and horns, not a fat bald mutant.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

ChupaReaper wrote:A screenshot I saw of one of the new enemies was some mutant with mechanical legs
You mean this thing?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's a fake and has been kicking around the internet for a couple of years or so now.

As for your wishes about the other monsters, I don't expect that much of that will happen.
ChupaReaper

Post by ChupaReaper »

Fakes are annoying. It isn't the sort of thing I'd like to see in Doom 4 anyways.
As for the monsters, maybe ID will listen to it's fans? Right? Either way I'd still like to see a Doom 4, just for the hell of it really...
DeathFactory

Re: DOOM 4 Definite

Post by DeathFactory »

I'm surprised to see so much Doom 3 hate here. Sure....it didn't have the same "soul" as the first 2, but then again, it was separated by a decade of advances in gaming technology, and was made by an id software with a lot more people and resources. I love the first 2 Dooms, but I have a special place in my heart for Doom 3, both as a modder and a player. You are entitled to your criticisms, but Doom 3 was a gem among shooters in its generation as far as I am concerned. My only complaint about Doom 3 might be the shortage of maps in Hell. Now, if you guys want to complain about something, complain about that travesty known as the Doom movie. :angry:
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DeathFactory wrote:I'm surprised to see so much Doom 3 hate here. Sure....it didn't have the same "soul" as the first 2, but then again, it was separated by a decade of advances in gaming technology, and was made by an id software with a lot more people and resources.

So?

Technology does not equal quality and manpower also does not automatically result in a better product. Just because the game was called Doom it just had nothing in common with what we love about this old game.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

What Graf said.

Also:

Thread resurrection!

Seriously, you just bumped an 11 month old thread to add... very little.

This newer thread would be a better place to continue the discussion.

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4091

Return to “General”