Newdoom.com closing - Hostees for DRDTeam.org?

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Newdoom.com closing - Hostees for DRDTeam.org?

Post by Tormentor667 »

http://www.newdoom.com/
Considering that Newdoom will close in the upcoming weeks, it's a good chance to maybe ask some hostees to move to DRDTeam and maybe even getting forum members from there, pulling out more from DRDTeam.org :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Interesting.

Since I have a more solid and robust FTP system now than I did before, I might be able to take on a few extra hostees. The question is, which ones would I really want?

It might be better to take the domain name along with them so they can keep their existing URL's.

EDIT: I asked Phoebus if he's willing to sell just the domain name and transfer the files to my server. We'll see what he says. I would prefer to keep both communities on separate domains, letting them traverse to either site as they will, rather than trying to merge them with DRD Team. However, someone else is gonna have to be a forum admin, I don't really like vBulletin. ;)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

SoulPriestess wrote:I asked Phoebus if he's willing to sell just the domain name and transfer the files to my server. We'll see what he says.
I believe Phoebus is willing to consider any reasonable offer. DooM Dude's announcement implied that he would rather sell the site than see it disappear.
I would prefer to keep both communities on separate domains, letting them traverse to either site as they will, rather than trying to merge them with DRD Team. However, someone else is gonna have to be a forum admin, I don't really like vBulletin. ;)
DooM Dude may consider staying on as admin, at least for a while.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

This is actually quite sad news. Although I can't say I've ever been a regular newdoom visitor, it's sad to see one of the main Doom sites go. Not the first and not the last though I suppose.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

He rejected my offer. *shrugs* Ah, well.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

For what reason?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Phoebus wrote:Don't talk about what I say in a private message here.
I'm going to ban the next person who does. Then you can have the distinction of being one of the last people banned from these forums.
Fact is, you disqualify yourselves from consideration with your own words.
Telling me "I'm willing to ENTERTAIN the idea...", "I don't have any money, but could you donate it?", "Sure I didn't put any effort into my hosted site, but...", "I don't really have time to be an administrator, but...", etc. etc. etc. AUTOMATICALLY tells me you're not really serious.
Don't go posting here how "my offer was turned down, how dare he!".
I'm not about to hand anything over of this import to people who by default have already shown me they're not up to the task.

And don't take it personally, either. Under the circumstances, I wouldn't wish this on you.

Seriously, I know what it takes. I know what it's worth.
I'm not the one who has to explain myself or convince anyone of anything.

I appreciate everyone's sentiments.
I really don't want to go through that shit again, I thought he was very rude. He had a good point (I wouldn't want PM's shared, either), but he was also very short and inconsiderate with the way he handled it. He was wrong, too, about exactly what I was posting - I was not whining that I was turned down, I was simply answering someone else's question. As far as an admin goes, though, he seems to have a lot of friends, so I guess he's really not that bad.

After that post, I stopped caring. The hostees are still welcome to come here, but they come on their own; other than the ones I've already asked, they can ask me for space, I won't ask them.
Remmirath
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Remmirath »

Hey, how harsh.

A guy offers his webspace to host newdoom.com, and he talks like this.
For me, the only guy that's not serious is Phoebus himself.
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well... I had my troubles with Phoebus myself years ago when I was still hosted at Newdoom.com, he is definitely okay but certainly easy to get annoyed ;) Nevermind, let's see what happens.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Concerning the future of Newdoom and DRDTeam.org I have some suggestions...

First, why not pointing Newdoom users to DRDTeam.org?
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36266

Second, why not enhancing the overall community site to extend to general Doom news and making the forum also general with several Newdoom.com forums.

What do you think?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Tormentor667 wrote:First, why not pointing Newdoom users to DRDTeam.org?
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36266
Phoebus has said he's keeping the NewDoom forums around; there's no reason for NewDoom's community base to evacuate to here.
Tormentor667 wrote:Second, why not enhancing the overall community site to extend to general Doom news and making the forum also general with several Newdoom.com forums.
This sounds like a good idea, although since we're much smaller than NewDoom do you think our community would really benefit from this, or would several forums just end up not being used?
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Re: Newdoom.com closing - Hostees for DRDTeam.org?

Post by Tormentor667 »

I guess this also depends on the updates at the main page... btw... what is happening to the forum atm?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Everything should be alright with the forum right now... are you having problems?
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nope, not anymore, it looks great :)

Return to “General”