Did someone say UK hosting?

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Did someone say UK hosting?

Post by Rachael »

Yep, DRD Team has expanded into the UK. We have just opened a secondary server in London.

I'm really excited about this, but I still don't know what to put on it. It doesn't have nearly the same resources as the main server (Dallas, TX) does, but since it's brand new, there's still a lot of possibilities for it.

If any hostees would rather be hosted closer to their home country, that's possible now. There's already a Skulltag IRC server there, but there's still another IP that hasn't even been used yet.

I could also start hosting some Skulltag servers.

I've thought about maybe hosting mirror sites, such as skulltag.co.uk and drdteam.org.uk, which would share the same database as the forums, but .uk domains are EXPENSIVE and .eu domains don't seem to be that easy to get.

Or if someone wants free hosting... well... ;)

Another possibility I've considered was moving all of DRD team back to Europe (though in UK, instead of Czech), and dedicating the Dallas server to Skulltag operations.
Cutmanmike

Re: Did someone say UK hosting?

Post by Cutmanmike »

Daww, I would have taken you up on this if I hadn't upgraded my webspace/bandwidth colossally since the army of megaman fans flooding to my site.

How much is all this costing you anyway? Surely owning all these sites is pricey. My bet is on Zdoom.org next btw (especially since it keeps going down). :)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Oh yeah, zdoom.org spent all its time today in errors 504. The forum sometimes load, but using a search function (I usually only browse forums of that size through "view unread posts") is a surefire way not to load anything ever.

With that said, I'm not sure about the point of getting a .uk or .eu address. That said, drdteam.eu is available according to these guys.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Zdoom is still awful for me right now. It's been awful all day and I've been waiting to get from Google (my home page) to Zdoom for 5 minutes now (heh, as I typed that, it suddenly appeared). However, downforeveryoneorjustme.com is reporting it as down.

Any more thoughts on what is going to happen with the UK server?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Yes, ZDooM is slow as molasses. But how would UK hosting help out?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

It couldn't be any worse. ;) Zdoom has been bad for a while - not awful like it is today, but regularly too slow for ages. Presumably this is a problem with Randy's host.

I personally wasn't necessarily suggesting that Zdoom should move to DRD (nor am I suggesting that it shouldn't). The two parts of my post were not related.

[and Zdoom suddenly got nice and quick about 10 minutes ago.]

Return to “General”