Help With PNG Weapons

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Neccronixis

Help With PNG Weapons

Post by Neccronixis »

Hello all. Im new to this thread so I apologise if I have entered anything in the wrong category or thread. Im currently working on my weapons mod, Demonic Minds. I've got all my sprites drawn up, but I really do not understand the whole concept of using PNG graphics in gzdoom. Im using GIMP and Irfanview and I save my sprites as PNG's, but when I load the raw data into xwe, the colours do not change ( I have seen the colours distorted in many other weapons mods that use PNG's). I also do not understand why when I import PNGS into xwe, the offset is incorrect and different to a sprite, why when I click on a PNG and drag, the box appears at an entirely different location, not around the graphic.
I'll see if I can get any images uploaded of the weapons...

Any help and recommendations for programs or tutorials would be greatly appreciated (I am new to weapon modding using DECORATE)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: Help With PNG Weapons

Post by Gez »

Do not use XWE? Look on the SVN part of the site, you'll find builds of SLADE3.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Slade3 fixes the offset problem, but the transparent colour is still present on the PNG graphic. When I open another wad like le-guns 4, the weapons don't have any colour present. Is this a problem with setting my transparent colour?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

There are no transparent colors. This is a lie.

However, if you use Slade's image conversion function (you can perfectly well convert from PNG to PNG...), you can make a color become transparent. IrfanView has such a function as well, however Slade will not erase the offset chunk. See [zwiki]PNG[/zwiki] for further information.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

When I use my PNG weapons in-game, do I need a specific palette in the wad file to enable the colours?
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

And how do I set the transparency colour in Irfanview and SLADE3 so it doesnt appear in SLDAE3?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

In Slade:
-right-click on the lump
-select "Convert GFX"
-select to keep it a PNG, but look in the transparency options
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I tried that and it didnt work, the colour still shows up on the PNG, and why do I keep getting this 'Not impemented' error everytime I try to perform an action on SLADE3?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Not every time. Several features are not implemented yet because it's still ongoing development. Anyway, the one feature I was talking about here works fine in all my tests.

Return to “General”