sdk's?

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
DoctorNicholas

sdk's?

Post by DoctorNicholas »

Hello, my name is Dr.N

I am interested in making a doom was (if thats what they are called). No, it wont be doom themed, but it will be like a sci-fi space/ tron/ metal gear mix thing. I am interested in using the GZDoom engine if...
*Theres an sdk for it (like the valve sdk for their source games, where i can edit maps that way and stuff)
*Someone will be nice enough to get me started
*If the engine has a way of playing a movie file (wmv, mp4, etc)
*stuff like that.

thanks

post #2

I was wondering if there were any sdk's for the gzdoom engine that made stuff a little bit easier. could someone help a newbie like me off and show me what programs to use? like making maps and aweapons and enemies? also, can gzdoom play a movie files?

[mod edit - merged two very similar introductory posts]
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: sdk's?

Post by Gez »

DoctorNicholas wrote:*Theres an sdk for it (like the valve sdk for their source games, where i can edit maps that way and stuff)
No. There are a ton of tools, but you won't find an official integrated SDK, the term didn't even exist back in 1993. And if there had been one, it wouldn't work now.

I recommend using SLADE 3 to organize resources, and Doom Builder 2 to create maps.
DoctorNicholas wrote:*Someone will be nice enough to get me started
I'm not that someone, but you should use this.
DoctorNicholas wrote:*If the engine has a way of playing a movie file (wmv, mp4, etc)
No, there isn't.

Return to “General”