Moments of Doom - Book now in development!!!

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Moments of Doom - Book now in development!!!

Post by Tormentor667 »

I have just thought about collecting screenshots of the greatest moments in Doom, no matter what kind of. I thought about...
  • Great moments in original Doom games (e.g. UDoom, Doom2, Final Doom)
  • Greatest classic projects of all time (e.g. stuff like Batman Doom, Cleimos, Memento Mori, Alien Vanguard)
  • Greatest effects in classic projects (e.g. bridges, texture effects, other magic that was genious for the past)
  • Greatest modern projects (e.g. Action Doom, RTC-3057, Epic)
  • Generally any kind of Doom screenshots that is a blast and shows of incredible work of any kind, wether it's a wad, a map, a tc, a pc, a weapon mod, a special effect, etc. Everything's allowed, just keep it interesting
There are just a few rules to think about...
  • Any screenshot must be taken with deactivated HUD/SBAR (screen fullsize)
  • Any screenshot must be taken without being targeted (+NOTARGET for example)
  • Any screenshot must be taken in at least 1024 x 786 resolution (the higher, the better - advanced port)
  • You are allowed to use any apsect ration of your screen resolution (e.g. 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, etc.)
  • 32-Bit is allowed (the screenshots can look modern but should feel classic)
  • Special effects are allowed as long as they are part of the mod/project (yes to UTNT flames in UTNT, no to enhanced particles in Batman Doom for example)
  • When submitting something, you have to name the project title, the file link, the author and one sentence which describes why it is so special or what people can see
  • It is allowed to show off weapon/effect mods in other projects but not vice versa (showing of projects by adding weapon/effect mods)
  • GZDoom/Doomsday enhancements are fine as long as they are within the spirit of the original project (for example it wouldn't work well with Cutmanmike's MegaMan deathmatch, as it's supposed to be 8-bit!)
The main reasons for doing this are two things I have currently in mind
  • The less interesting point is adding these to the Realm667 as "Screenshot of the Moment", nothing special
  • The more interesting thing is that I have planned to create a "Doom Photo Book"
This kind of book is going to be a nice-to-have goody, completely printed and bound as a high quality book that you can order directly. I am working as a media designer in a large marketing and printing agency, so doing this won't be a big deal for me. My main goal also isn't to earn a lot of money, so the production costs and the shipping will go directly from the print store to the people who are interested in this. For me it's simply something I'd like to do because it's a nice thing. And if other people want this as well, I am happy about it :) So right now, before starting with the whole layout and the concept, I just need material. This is actually a community thing and with some support, it might become a pretty cool community thing - it would be kinda hard to collect all the screenshots on my own later ;) On the one hand I might miss something, on the other hand I do not have everyone's taste.

So thanks for your support and I am looking forward to your feedback concerning this.
Best regards,
Torm
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: The best moments of Doom! - Hang in!

Post by Rex Claussen »

I think this is an excellent idea. Having a coffee-table book of memorable moments in DooM would definitely be a conversation starter. I'd probably pay good money for such a book. (Although the costs for me to order and ship the book from Germany would be quite high.)

I will look over your rules again and see what I can contribute.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks for the interest, I'd be happy if you could contribute something - also self-promotion is allowed in your case ;)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I haven't visited the ZDooM forums in a while, but I just popped in to DooM World yesterday and noticed quite a bit of activity on your thread. It was amusing to see how many people posted pictures without properly reading the rules. [But good move on allowing GL effects].

For me, aside from the original DooM/2, my greatest "wow!" moments were probably in the various well-made TCs. I'll think about what to post, but I might just end up using something from newer mods (which are still on my hard drive).
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

That's just fine, no restrictions about when these have to be released, I am just happy to get as many impressions as possible, to get the whole illustrated piece of art filled with stuff :)
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

News from 26th of February 2012:
http://www.realm667.com/index.php?optio ... 6#JOSC_TOP
Now in development! Keep your screenshots coming!
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Re: Moments of Doom - Book now in development!!!

Post by Tormentor667 »

Still in the need of more sceenshots people, keep 'em coming!

Return to “General”