Doom Armory on DRDTeam's site is dead?

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
X-DOOM

Doom Armory on DRDTeam's site is dead?

Post by X-DOOM »

Hello, i think i haven't talk in here before but now i do :)
I would like to point out i tried to visit Doom Armory and it was under a database problem, so unable to visit the page and its content.
NeoHippo

Re: Doom Armory on DRDTeam's site is dead?

Post by NeoHippo »

Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

"Fixed" the link for you. :wink:
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

:shock: :cry:
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately, yeah, that site was so complicated it ultimately could not be ported to phpBB3. I know Grubber was a bit of a technical genius with that stuff but unfortunately I do not possess the same skills he had, and I was not able to port his work over. The biggest thing that would have been lost with Armory was the subtitles for the topics; something that was used extensively even with other hostee sites on DRD Team back in the phpBB2 days.

Ultimately the move to change to phpBB3 had to be done, though, as phpBB2 is riddled with security problems and other issues, and phpBB3 also offered a lot more flexibility, despite the loss of the subtopic mod that was applied to phpBB2.

This is why I do not heavily mod my phpBB forums; forward compatibility is a huge issue, even with minor patches. phpBB3 is considerably better about it than phpBB2 was, but it is still problematic. Consider it lesson learned when I was hosting a number of guild sites for WoW way back in the day.

In my opinion phpBB3 should have an API and an event-call interface for addons; it would make modding the software a lot easier and a lot more forward-friendly. You should never mod the original code directly to create addons in any software, in my opinion.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Eruanna wrote:You should never mod the original code directly to create addons in any software, in my opinion.
Quite agreed. Perhaps they will ameliorate this with phpBB4.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “General”