Cannot change player class in skulltag

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Cyborggeffien

Cannot change player class in skulltag

Post by Cyborggeffien »

I cannot change the player class in skulltag. I cannot change from the regular marine to any monster. I don't know why I can't do this.

Do I need an extra addon for this to work? Does anybody know why I cannot change from marine to monster? If so, can they please tell me why?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Cannot change player class in skulltag

Post by Rachael »

First off, Skulltag is no longer updated, it's been forked and abandoned and its continuation is called Zandronum.

Secondly, even with Zandronum or any ZDoom-forked project, actors are based on very heavily modified but old and ancient code from back in the days when everything inside the Doom engine was hardcoded. Actions and code-pointers were performed at the object's animation frames, not like today's games where the animations run independently of the monster controlling it. Players and cleverly-scripted ACS creatures are the only actors whose controls are isolated from the animation system.

Because of this, ZDoom (and child projects) puts limitations on which classes can be used as players, in order to mitigate odd behavior such as a player actor acting on his/her own without input from its backing console.
Cyborggeffien

Re: Cannot change player class in skulltag

Post by Cyborggeffien »

Learned that I needed a mod to play as monsters:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qlncbx: Monster mod v2.1

Return to “General”