open world map, make monsters deaf in large sector.

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
doomexpert

open world map, make monsters deaf in large sector.

Post by doomexpert »

im build a open world map for a long time now, i need intel how to do things.

an open world map is outside with houses, for monster its react like a one big sector and if you shoot you wake up all the monsters outside. there is an option called: deaf in the property's of the monster thing but that doenst make the monster deaf. what i want is if i shoot, the monster must wake up in a radius of your player.

also i have to need windows for the houses, but the house/sector, must be fully closed. so you can see trough it what is inside but closed or rendering behind it.

any suggestions?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: open world map, make monsters deaf in large sector.

Post by Gez »

Some editors keep calling it "deaf" out of inertia, but it's not deaf. It's ambush. The monster still wakes up from sound but decides not to move until it has line of sight with the player. The difference with a "sleeping" monster is that a woken deaf monster can see behind its back (360° vision) while a sleeping monster can only see in front of it (180° vision). A good example of that is the first map of Doom II, where you see two zombies turning their back on you and not reacting.

Sound alert, in Doom, is propagated by sectors, not by distance. A gigantic sector or a tiny sector make no difference. In fact if a sector is split into several disconnected areas, sound will "travel" to all of them. To block sound, you must make sure all linedefs between two sectors are marked as blocking sound. But beware: sound will still propagate, but just be "attenuated", through one sound-blocking linedef. You want to really block sound, you need two sound-blocking linedef in sequence.

Also linedefs of sectors with 0 height block sound as well. So a closed door will block sound, while an opened one doesn't.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

To add to what Gez said, you may wish to tailor the AI in you map by redefining the monsters using [zwiki]DECORATE[/zwiki]. In particular, you might find [zwiki]A_LookEx[/zwiki] useful.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

tnx it works with the 2 double linedefs with all of them, block sound option, he doesnt wake up lol after shooting or jumping from a heigt when i was standing behind him.. he only saw me within his 180 degrees of field of view. now i need to draw that for each monster, 2 squares but that makes it worth the gameplay..

and yes decorate, my pwad dont have decorate, and i want to learn that how to make one because i want to copy items from another wad. how to use that with slade 3. how to copy infinite items.

Return to “General”