Weird resolution problem

These are problems that have already been resolved, either by others or by their users.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

-K-

Weird resolution problem

Post by -K- »

Hi,

Newer versions of GZDoom have this weird issue on my computer, whereby you can't change the resolution - whatever resolution you select in the Video mode screen, the actual game window is always in 1920x1080. The on-screen text will change to the resolution you select, but the actual game window is always the same.

Older versions of GZDoom don't have this problem - version 0.4.6 lets me change the resolution to whatever I like. It's not like it ruins the game or anything, but I like playing the game in the original resolution just see (sort of) what the game looked like in 1993 or whenever. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the game on a 2011 iMac with OSX Sierra, 8 gig of RAM.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Weird resolution problem

Post by dpJudas »

Are you running it full screen or in windowed mode?
-K-

Post by -K- »

It's in full screen mode. I just tried it in windowed mode, and changing the resolution changed the size of the window, but it doesn't do anything in full screen mode.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

Set gl_scale_viewport CVAR to false to "fix" the problem. The way fullscreen is implemented on macOS (using topmost borderless window) this variable doesn't make much sense in this mode.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

The places that cvar is used should probably combine it with a fullscreen check: if (gl_scale_viewport && !IsFullscreen()).
-K-

Post by -K- »

Many thanks - that sorted the problem, much appreciated. Is there any way of making the change permanent other than using the archivecvar command?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Create an autoexec.cfg in your config folder. I *think* Mac will support a plaintext file just fine for this purpose. (Does SimpleText properly do this without dressing the file or putting in markups that GZDoom will not support?)

In there you can do "set gl_scale_viewport false" plus any other runtime adjustments you wish to make.
-K-

Post by -K- »

That worked perfectly. You guys are superstars, thanks so much.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome. :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This should be saveable, though.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Would it help you if I did a pull request updating that CVAR to archive as well as a quick ZDoom merge? (The ZDoom merge should be stable - it's been tested in both QZDoom and GZZScript)
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

That CVAR was mostly intended for windowed mode where there's two usage scenarios: 1) resize changes canvas to match window, and 2) canvas should be something fixed (like 320x240) but letterbox within the window (like a video in a video player).

However, in the Mac full screen situation, there's never really a situation where you'd want gl_scale_viewport to be on. Hence why I suggested checking for full screen in the code and make that override the CVAR.

Return to “Closed Tech Issues”