sw_truecolor listed twice in menudef.txt

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Nash
Developer
Developer

sw_truecolor listed twice in menudef.txt

Post by Nash »

Under RendererMenu and also TrueColorOptions.

[Additionally, I just realized how inconsistent menudef actually looks, with some OptionMenu names being enclosed in quotes while some aren't... :O but that's not QZDoom]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: sw_truecolor listed twice in menudef.txt

Post by Rachael »

The double listing actually was intentional, but I'll leave this open to see what other people think about that. I just figured it'd be nice and convenient to find it in two separate locations.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Oh, really? Hmm, that's a strange design decision. :D I was actually wondering at first if the 2 options had any difference, found out they were altering the same CVar, and assumed it was erroneously listed twice. Well, it's your call. :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I suppose it makes more sense to only have one iteration of it, but I had debated that myself. Ultimately keeping both had won out, because the option to change renderer in the video settings menu was lacking, something GZDoom used to have but now it did not. I figured it would make sense to put it in with that option since it is a bit of a system/hardware setting. However, it had also always been in the Display options menu, as well, and while I already pulled all the Truecolor stuff to its own menu, it made no sense to suddenly remove it from there, although if I had to stick to only one it would've ultimately been moved from there to the new Renderer menu.

It's all a matter of perspective, really - it all makes sense from my own perspective. But then again, what's normal to the spider is chaos to the fly. :P

That's why I am leaving this open. I want to formulate a better decision based on other people's thoughts about it, whether it makes sense or not.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I think moving it to its own menu was the right call. The truecolor option (and same for a vid_renderer option) has nothing to do with video resolution selection. Technically they are related the way zdoom is coded, but from a user perspective the two things are unrelated. My personal vote goes to removing the original options as I agree with Nash that it feels odd to see the same setting twice.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

https://github.com/raa-eruanna/qzdoom/c ... 46e93ec971

Moved the renderer menu out of the video mode menu, and removed the extra swtruecolor entry in the Truecolor submenu, which consolidates all the system rendering stuff into its own menu.

I'll close this if you think this will work.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Looks fine to me. :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Fair enough. :) If it looks weird where it is, feel free to tweak the language strings.

Return to “Closed Bugs”