Brightmaps!

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Hellser

Brightmaps!

Post by Hellser »

Hello, there! I think it's time I start using this forum instead of the ZDoom forums for suggestions, and here's a far fetched one, but it might work.

So far, dynlights for software mode is adorable (both True Color and Pal mode). If possible, can we also get some brightmaps up in here? I think it'll work quite well (I'm thinking DN3D here) for the Pal mode, and help out tons for a True Color mode to help make a rival to OpenGL mode.

If it isn't possible, just say so. Don't leave me hanging. :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Brightmaps!

Post by Graf Zahl »

It may be possible, but only in a restricted fashion. GZDoom can resize any brightmap to fit a texture but that may be too costly for a software renderer. I think a brightmap with matching dimensions may be doable, but I would expect this to be postponed until the renderer gets better organized.
Hellser

Post by Hellser »

Ahh yeah. I forgot about the scalable textures or sprites. We'll see how it will go then. Thanks for the info, Graf.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

The organization of the sw renderer is indeed the biggest showstopper for adding this particular feature. The different scale for the second texture isn't too much of a problem (cost is one extra stepping variable), but managing the extra drawer permutations it would create is.

I'll probably add this at some point just for completeness sake, but you'll probably need a future CPU if you were to run softpoly+lights+brightmaps+linear, unless you use some lower resolution. :)

Return to “Suggestions”