Bug posting guidelines (IMPORTANT UPDATE!)

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Bug posting guidelines (IMPORTANT UPDATE!)

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since I have gotten several reports concerning rendering glitches I have to ask you to always post your equipment (graphics card, CPU, driver version) if you have a similar issue.

Since these problems are mostly hardware dependent I can't do much about them without this information.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Since some people seem to think that it is fine to post bug reports or problems as private messages I have to make the following announcement:

Doing this prevents other users from giving any input. As such I will ignore such PM's in the future and not reply to them. If you have a problem, please post it in the bugs forum. If you have some data to add that you don't want to share with the public it's ok to send that as a PM in addition though.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is an important announcement for all 64bit Linux users:

I have no means and no time to investigate problems with 64bit Linux binaries. When I wrote the code I may have made some 32 bit architecture assumptions that break GZDoom on 64bit Linux as some recent bug reports indicate.

Due to this there is really no point in reporting such problems. Unless some Linux users can organize some debugging themselves I won't be able to do anything about them.

I'm really sorry about this but it's unlikely to change for the foreseeable future.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Bug posting guidelines (IMPORTANT UPDATE!)

Post by Rachael »

(Shamelessly stolen from Mr. Tee at ZDoom, but edited for relevance)
===============================================

1. The title shouldn't just say "Bug" or "Crash", it should take the form of:
[GZDoom_Version] Effect : Possible_Cause

Here are some examples:
[1.6.0] Bug : Backpack messes up items
[1.6.1] Crash : Decorate actors using A_Custom Missle
[r1459] Total Lockup : Dividing by zero in ACS scripts

2. Please attach the 'CrashReport.zip' that is saved in the event of a crash.

3. If your bug requires some kind of further explanation, please put this before the crash log.

4. Only post bugs for GZDoom, i.e. not Skulltag, ZDoomGL, ZDoom or anything else.
(edited for this forum)

5. Don't post bug reports for any experimental or custom builds. Especially crash logs for these unofficial and unsupported versions cannot be investigated and any bug report containing one will be closed without any further investigation. Please go to the source of these builds and post bug reports where solicited (i.e. bugs in Gez's builds should go to the Experimental Builds bugs forum).

6. Don't post bugs for anything older than the most recent version. These versions are old and won't be updated anymore. If you encounter a problem with these versions please verify first with a more recent version that the problem still exists.

7. If you experience a crash with a custom WAD please post a link to a download location for that WAD if possible.
Many problems cannot be addressed if the developers do not have access to the game modification that is causing the problem. If you are reluctant to provide your mod, then it's quite possible that no one will be able to help you.

8. If you post a bug for a self-compiled SVN version, please try to gather some information in the debugger yourself. Since you are able to compile you should have access to one. Crash logs for such builds are of no use.

Return to “Bugs (Archive)”