Visual "Bug" With Corpses of Human Enemies

Moderator: Rex Claussen

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Visual "Bug" With Corpses of Human Enemies

Post by Rex Claussen »

I noticed something that is not really a "bug" in the truest sense of the word; more an oddity that detracts from the realism of the game. When you walk over the corpse of a fallen human soldier you pick up its weapon, and a message to that effect comes up on the screen. However, the corpse retains its hold on the relevant weapon.

This can be addressed by modifying the message, so that the player is shown to pick up only the ammo in the weapon. This would work fine in general; however, it wouldn't work for the first time the player picks up the weapon if that pickup is from a corpse. This would be particularly obvious on Map10 (first map of Paranoiac), where the only shotguns and M-16s are available from human grunts. On Map03 (third map of Paranoid), the player can pick up the shotgun from the security room near the start, but the M-16 will typically be picked up from a grunt. I think that the Maps 03 & 10 issue should be left as-is, and let the visual oddity remain for the first weapons pickups.

The alternative to altering the message is to separate the weapon from the grunts' corpses, and make the weapon a pickup. This is a tedious and time-consuming method, and I am against this option, especially as the benefits are just cosmetic.
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Re: Visual "Bug" With Corpses of Human Enemies

Post by Ed the Bat »

This is a known issue, and I did intend to address it at some point. I am fine with separating the gun from the dying grunt, if you would still like them to drop their weapons for the player to pick up, a la Doom. It shouldn't be terribly hard; I just haven't gotten around to it yet because I felt that non-cosmetic issues took priority.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ed the Bat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 17:49I just haven't gotten around to it yet because I felt that non-cosmetic issues took priority.
I completely agree. I posted simply to flag something I had observed, even though it's (in my opinion) a minor point. No hurry on any kind of fix.
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Post by Ed the Bat »

I have updated the models for humans, and while I was at it, I addressed this issue. Now, when a security guard or HECU marine dies, his model changes to one without a gun, to imply that the pickup which spawns was dropped from his hands. In the case of shotguns and assault rifles, the gun does seem to grow larger, due to the size difference of the pickups' models. I'll address that in the near future.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ed the Bat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:49I have updated the models for humans, and while I was at it, I addressed this issue.
Good show, Boss!

I didn't realize how multi-talented you are, Ed. At first, I thought your expertise lay in co-op and multi-player development. And then, it seemed, you were shining in the areas of ZScript and resource management. And then you revealed your proficiency in DECORATE and models. Kudos!
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Post by Ed the Bat »

Thank you for your kind words, Rex!

Return to “Parallax”