How to make GZDoom look like original Doom

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

NemedKing

How to make GZDoom look like original Doom

Post by NemedKing »

Hello, there! My question is about how to make GZDoom look EXACTLY as original 1993 Doom (save for the resolution). I bet it's possible. The problem is there are so many options in the Display Options menu and especially OpenGL Options submenu, and I don't understand what they mean - there is hardly any description to them. I couldn't find tweak guide in the internet. I appreciate GZDoom (great work!), but I don't want graphical enhancements. Please help.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: How to make GZDoom look like original Doom

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you want to have it look EXACTLY like 1993 Doom you are out of luck. You only get that look with a software renderer.

How close you can get depends on the hardware. GZDoom has a lighting mode that tries to emulate the software lighting formula but it requires modern graphics hardware - the feature set of older cards is too limited to get the desired effect. For that you have to go to the OpenGL preferences menu and set 'Sector Light Mode' to 'Software'. If you do not get this option I'm afraid you are out of luck.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

One thing I do is disable texture filtering, high quality resize mode and dynamic lights.
NemedKing wrote:The problem is there are so many options in the Display Options menu and especially OpenGL Options submenu, and I don't understand what they mean - there is hardly any description to them.
You can find information about the display options menu and its sub-menus from here.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Blue Shadow wrote:One thing I do is disable texture filtering, high quality resize mode and dynamic lights.
All of which I do as well, but out of preference rather than "classicness". :P

(My main complaint about dynlights is their overly "hard" coloration. While i could fix this with a custom lights file, the majority of mods duplicate the problem.)
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote: (My main complaint about dynlights is their overly "hard" coloration. While i could fix this with a custom lights file, the majority of mods duplicate the problem.)

True. I should fix the lights file eventually (or better, address this with some settings in the engine. I haven't seen anyone do this one right so far.)
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Thinking about it, how about a gl_lights_saturation CVar? Might be the best compromise between compatibility and user preference.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
undead003

Post by undead003 »

You can also cap the FPS to get the choppy feel of vanilla, using cl_capfps 1, and disable monster interpolation (very bottom option in the display options)

Return to “GZDoom”