importing a 4 mb png sky texture

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

doomexpert

importing a 4 mb png sky texture

Post by doomexpert »

ive download some sky textures and want to import the png with slade 3. anybody who knows precisely how to do that? where do i need to set the png, between which lump. tx_start/tx_end ???? why does it force into the doom palette, why should people even work on this shitty program, also mention for doombuilder 2. there are programs out there that could make realistic modern games... but i dont want to convert the png in the doom palette such as an patch or sprite. i want the real colors from that photo. cause i think is just shit work. i must be able to import just a sky texture png format and use that simply as a f_sky 1 or 2 or 3 whatever. slade is also shit program because i cant scale the texture, if i import a png, the photo is big as the hole world. how can i scale my texture so i can use it like a hi resolution painting or whatever. slade hasnt that option, very stupid.
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Re: importing a 4 mb png sky texture

Post by Kappes Buur »

Well, if you don't know how to do something, blaming the software will not make it easier on or for you.
The only thing which will help is read and learn and read some more. Then, if something is still unclear,
then ask questions.

sirjuddington and Gez and others have made Slade3 extremely useful.
MaxEd is making constant improvements to GZDoom Builder.

It is up to you to learn how to use the features of those editors properly.

If you ask questions, don't run everything into a single block. Use paragraphs. Use proper punctuation.
Make every letter starting a sentence a capital letter. Be specific about what you want to do, and best
of all, supply screenshot(s) and/or, better still, a link to your map.

I don't mind helping out if I can, but nobody likes to have to read between the lines.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

To echo what Kappes Buur said (and to follow on from another thread where you said people aren't helping you) the problem is, I have great difficulty in understanding what it is you are actually trying to do. I'm not trying to be cheeky here but I don't know if English is your first language or not, or if you have difficulty with written communication but I usually find it very hard to follow what you are asking about.

Please try and write clearly (as Kappes Buur suggests) and try to explain as fully as possible what you are asking about. Remember, no one other than you has seen your WAD, the graphic that you are trying to use or knows exactly what you are trying to do with it. All we know is what you tell us. If you don't tell us everything then we have to guess about anything that you don't tell us. This means that we will probably guess wrongly or people simply won't bother to try and help because answering takes more effort and they won't even be sure that they are answering the correct question anyway.

Help us to help you:
Tell us exactly what you want to do: the whole story, not just little bits.
Tell us what you have done so far that doesn't work (step by step, including which menu options you used in Slade or whatever).
If you are doing something that generates error messages, tell us what they are: exactly what they are - word for word.
If you are getting unexpected results, describe those results as fully as possible.
Screenshots can be useful: both from in the game or screenshots of how other programs (such as Slade) look when you are trying to do whatever it is that you are not managing to make happen.
Provide examples: this could be snippets of code, a copy of the resources you are trying to use, an example map or whatever is appropriate for the question.

From what I can tell, I think you have a large image that you want to put into a WAD or PK3 without it being reduced to the Doom palette. Slade can certainly do that. Personally, I don't use Slade too often for that kind of task, so I'm not sure about the exact details of how to do it, but it most definitely can do that. So, blaming the "shitty program" when you're doing something wrong isn't helping.

You also seem to want to scale the image. I'm more confused by that. I'm not sure which of the following things that you want to do: If you want to set the image up so that it will be scaled when you see it in game (i.e. the image has not actually changed but the game engine will scale it to make it "hi-res" when you see it in game, then there are a few methods to do that (all of which Slade can help with). If you want to resize the image so that it is actually smaller, then the best way would be to resize it in a graphics editing program before you try to stick it into a WAD/PK3. I don't *think* Slade has the ability to resize images in that way (it's not a graphics editor).

It's worth pointing out that this post is considerably longer than your original question and that Kappes Buur has given you a reply too; and that really is the point. The reason you aren't getting as much help as you would like is that to answer your queries takes more effort than it should: more than you took to write it. If I had known exactly what you were asking about, then I could probably have answered it in a sentence or two. As it is, I've made a long post and probably not really provided a solution. In fact I spent more of my time babbling on about how to ask for help and second guessing your question than I did providing anything that might have helped with the actual query.

Like I said, help us to help you. :)
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

After a quick try with Slade, importing a PNG without losing any colour information seems very easy. I highlighted an entry in my WAD, went to the "Entry" menu, picked "Import" navigated to my PNG file, clicked "Open" and the graphic was imported with no reduction of colours.

Return to “GZDoom”