gzdoom lag

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Doom40573

gzdoom lag

Post by Doom40573 »

I've been using gzdoom for 2 weeks now and I think it's the best engine but I have a problems. Currently I'm playing the Zpack with Project Brutality Mod + UDV mod and when I use the flashlight, it taxes the hell out of my FPS in certain areas. Is there anything in the .ini file I can modify to keep it from lowering my FPS? It's not a big deal if there's no solution but it does bug me when I turn it on and it gets a bit choppy(destroys the flow of the game for me).
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: gzdoom lag

Post by Rachael »

GZDoom simply runs best on NVidia cards. If you don't have one, things will lag a bit easier.

Try lowering your screen resolution, first and foremost. That is the biggest effect on your lag over anything else.

Secondly you can try GZDoom 1.8.10 (on the news page) - and turn off shaders for lights. Light shaders seem to lag ATI cards tremendeously, unfortunately. :( That option was removed in the 2.x series, though.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The light shader problem no longer exists in 2.x, it was caused by some screwup with uniform arrays which for some reason cannot be used reliably on AMD. 1.8.10 does not run better on AMD than 2.x.

In any case, before giving advice it may be a good idea if the hardware confguration is posted by the OP.
Doom40573

Post by Doom40573 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The light shader problem no longer exists in 2.x, it was caused by some screwup with uniform arrays which for some reason cannot be used reliably on AMD. 1.8.10 does not run better on AMD than 2.x.

In any case, before giving advice it may be a good idea if the hardware confguration is posted by the OP.
I was going to post it but I didn't think it would matter but my specs :

Arch Linux x86_64
CPU :Athlon x2 7750 3.1GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560
RAM : 6GB
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, there's not really much you can do here. The flashlight is implemented by spawning large numbers of dynamic lights and if those get used in detailed areas the amount of data that needs to get transferred to the graphics card can become quite large.

I was asking for specs to have an idea how much your system might be affected, but your graphics hardware is more than sufficient.
Doom40573

Post by Doom40573 »

I personally think it's my CPU, I had this problem with other modern games but some were alleviated by enabling multi-core rendering. Now I can play L4D2 with HD mods and not have that random stalls or loose 10 FPS cause of the modded flashlight.

Return to “GZDoom”