Vulkan Renderer

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Vulkan Renderer

Post by Tiger »

Just a question; is there any chance that GZDoom's video renderer switches over to the Vulkan engine instead of the OpenGL engine in the later future?

http://www.neowin.net/news/khronos-grou ... -to-opengl
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Vulkan Renderer

Post by Graf Zahl »

In the later future, certainly, but right now it makes no sense. The system requirements to use Vulkan seem to be higher than anticipated and my current graphics card is one generation too old.
And considering that 20% of GZDoom downloads are still the 1.x branch, it should be clear that adoption of compatible hardware is still far too low. If this happened one of the two existing branches would have to be abandoned, but abandoning 1.x would leave 20% of GZDoom's users behind and abandoning 2.x would force approx. half of its users to the lower version.

I think this can be done when use of 1.x has reduced to less than 5% and adoption of compatible hardware is high enough, but in a retro gaming community that may well take 3 to 5 years.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Exactly, the very fact GZDoom needs to keep an older branch around for older hardware is proof enough that a Vulkan version of the renderer is something that will have to wait for several years -- possibly more than five, IMO.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd also like to see Vulkan mature a bit. That thing is brand spanking new so some initial problems are to be expected.

Return to “GZDoom”