Stereo 3D stuff

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Stereo 3D stuff

Post by dpJudas »

biospud wrote:Perhaps I was remembering an earlier version, or getting confused with the Oculus Rift SDK.
It probably was from the Oculus SDK. At least I remember seeing some note there about this very thing back in the day when I toyed with my DK2.
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

By the way, to get the gzdoom eye buffers to work correctly with OpenVR, I found I needed to change the target format for these eye buffers from RGBA16F to RGBA12. RBGA12 was the deepest bit depth I could find that would result in proper rendering to my HTC Vive headset.
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

Another problem I need to solve with all of the 3D stereo modes is the placement of the aiming cross hair. In most of the 3D modes, I'd like to offset the cross-hair position laterally in each eye view, to give the impression that the cross-hair is more distant than the weapon and other 2D items. In HMD modes, the cross-hair should be rendered in its own location, not even in the same rectangle as the other 2D items. Maybe there is some way to divert the cross-hair graphics into a separate display list from the other 2D items?
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

I created a new pull request for the two new side-by-side 3D modes at https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/109
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

I added yet two more stereo 3D modes: Top/Bottom and Row interleaved. http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=194&t=7209

Row-interleaved mode is the first mode to actually use a custom "present" shader. So it should be straightforward for me to implement the two remaining non-VR modes on my list: column-interleaved and checkerboard interleaved. Once those are done, gzdoom will support every non-VR 3D mode I have the ability to test.

I'm aware of two remaining bugs in the non-VR 3D modes:
1) The cross-hair looks terrible being at the same distance as the other 2D HUD items. I need to find a way to adjust the lateral position of the cross-hair per-eye.
2) The status bar is often narrower than it should be in wide/full side-by-side mode (vr_mode 3). dpjudas tried to help me understand how to investigate this problem, but I never got very far.
6DB

Post by 6DB »

This is great stuff and playing DooM in stereo 3D is amazing but I have a problem. I'm playing Brutal DooM and Project brutality, both mods allow you to ADS(aim down sights) of your weapons but it is very hard to aim due to double vision on your weapon sights. Normally when playing a game in stereo 3D I will change a setting to allow the 3D effect to be shifted to either the left or right eye, so when I am aiming down the sights I will close my left eye and have a clear visual of sights and target. There is no such option I can find in the settings for GZDOOM and so when aiming down the sights I have to aim for the center of both sights which is no fun.

God I'm crap at explaining this but I hope you get the idea, there basically needs to be a few more options in the menu,

1. Option to shift stereo 3D to left or right eye.
2. It would be nice to be able to adjust depth and convergence.

Thanks for all the hard work.
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

6DB wrote:...I'm playing Brutal DooM and Project brutality, both mods allow you to ADS(aim down sights) of your weapons but it is very hard to aim due to double vision on your weapon sights. Normally when playing a game in stereo 3D I will change a setting to allow the 3D effect to be shifted to either the left or right eye, so when I am aiming down the sights I will close my left eye and have a clear visual of sights and target. There is no such option I can find in the settings for GZDOOM and so when aiming down the sights I have to aim for the center of both sights which is no fun.

God I'm crap at explaining this but I hope you get the idea, there basically needs to be a few more options in the menu,

1. Option to shift stereo 3D to left or right eye.
2. It would be nice to be able to adjust depth and convergence...
I created an issue for this here: https://mantis.zdoom.org/view.php?id=76

But I probably won't get to it right away.
biospud
Developer
Developer

Post by biospud »

6DB wrote: ...2. It would be nice to be able to adjust depth and convergence...
You can adjust the CVAR "vr_ipd" to set the distance between your eyes, in meters (e.g. 0.062) to adjust the depth.

You can adjust the CVAR "vr_screendist" to set the distance between your eyes and your monitor, in meters, to adjust the convergence.

You might also want to try setting those to different incorrect values, if you want to experiment with adjusting "depth and convergence".
6DB

Post by 6DB »

Good to know you are aware of this issue, thanks for replying. I look forward to a future update from you.

I appreciate all the work you and folks working on GZDOOM do.

Return to “GZDoom”