v 0.9.9

News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

v 0.9.9

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is mostly to verify a suspicion about the ATI crash. Please report whether this version still crashes when changing levels.

Furthermore, I think I can declare crouching an official feature now and it is listed in the controls menu. New sprites are not supported yet.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Damn man, You're a machine

It's tedious having to update the front page message *laughs* :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then link to the downloads page. ;)

Sorry, but I want to sort this thing out. This bug is gettinh annoying.
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

As far as I'm concerned, you can update as often as you want. ;)

It's only a drag and drop operation of a few files anyway; it's not like I have to go through some cumbersome installation process, like the latest version of Risen3D, anyway. Now if I had to do that, then this would get annoying.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nuxius wrote:; it's not like I have to go through some cumbersome installation process, like the latest version of Risen3D, anyway.

... the one thing I most dislike about Doomsday and its offspring. Handling a Doom port couldn't get more needlessly complicated.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Yes, that's been a barrier to me using those ports more extensively too. Doom has to be one of the simplest games to load add-on user mods to. No special directories required, the parameters are not particularly obscure, it doesn't need a whole string of extra commands to enable developer modes or something just to allow modifications and in modern incarnations, it's a simple drag and drop for those who like that sort of approach. Quite why Doomsday took that and made it the difficult, quirky, unique system they did I have no idea. It's simply not possible to quickly download a file and run it with Doomsday, as it is with almost every other port.
Cutmanmike

Re: v 0.9.9

Post by Cutmanmike »

Graf Zahl wrote:New sprites are not supported yet.
So I take it you never found the doomfu source?
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Nuxius wrote:; it's not like I have to go through some cumbersome installation process, like the latest version of Risen3D, anyway.
... the one thing I most dislike about Doomsday and its offspring. Handling a Doom port couldn't get more needlessly complicated.
Oh.. agreed so much. This goes double for editors, especially DeePsea (not starting any rants here though).
Last edited by Paul on Fri Oct 07, 2005 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. But even if I did this would take a little time to add.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Time I have. Source I do not (yet) :(
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

It's simply not possible to quickly download a file and run it with Doomsday, as it is with almost every other port.
Well, it can be, provided that the person who made the wad took the time to put it together properly. Sitters earlier levels, for instance, are good example of how NOT to distribute a Doomsday mod.
This goes double for editors, especially DeePsea (not starting any rants here though).
It stole my wad file associations, without even asking! Argh!@#$#$&*!!! Heh. (thank goodness I know my way around Windows and was able to take them back)

O.K., next thread.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nuxius wrote:
It's simply not possible to quickly download a file and run it with Doomsday, as it is with almost every other port.
Well, it can be, provided that the person who made the wad took the time to put it together properly. Sitters earlier levels, for instance, are good example of how NOT to distribute a Doomsday mod.

I never played them due to the messy distribution.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Nuxius wrote:Well, it can be, provided that the person who made the wad took the time to put it together properly.
The point being, in every other port, the person making the wad simply doesn't have to take that into account either.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

And here I was afraid to dl newer versions of GZDooM. I see you decided to fix it so that GZDooM DOES switch over to the correct software\OpenGL mode depending on the type of card people have. After my last fiasco with one of the newer versions I decided to keep using 9.2. Guess I better make switch permanent.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Well, I tried it out, and there was no crashing during level switching or anything (not that I noticed any to begin with).

I also noticed that the speed at which you go into the crouch is rather slow, and that crouching is a toggle. Is there any way to make crouching a bit faster (the actual crouching movement speed is perfect, just not the actual "crouching" and "uncrouching"), and possibly make it not a toggle?

Return to “News”