[r1928] Crash on startup with ATi Radeon x1300 card

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Whoo

[r1928] Crash on startup with ATi Radeon x1300 card

Post by Whoo »

(Starting from the discussion in this thread)

It appears the new beta(And almost all versions dating back to 1.0.3) crash on startup. ATi cards have several different settings than Nvidia, so I decided to play around with the configuration. I disabled Catalyst AI since it has been known to produce problems with some OpenGL games, and there was still no luck. From what I can conceive this similar problem is occurring with older generation ATi cards (Dating from about the x2100 series back) Some models from this generation(Called "legacy" by AMD now) run GZdoom perfectly fine(See: Certain models from the x1600 series), while others do not(x1300/x1550 series). Whether this is occurring on both AGP and PCI-E variations of the cards I do not know, I only have the PCI variation. I'm currently on Catalyst 9.3 drivers, so I have not tested the latest drivers. ATi no longer is adding features to the legacy cards(See list here) and new drivers only fix critical issues. I have attached a log file that was recorded with the Catalyst AI disabled. I had this problem occurring a few months ago on Skulltag 97d(Which last I checked was frozen at 1.0.3), and the cause of it was a corrupted DirectX file. There is not any, so I do not have any certain idea on what the current cause is. The AMD website may have documents or certain SDK's that can point to the cause, so you might want to look around the general AMD website, and AMD Game.
Attachments
logfile.ZIP
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: [r1928] Crash on startup with ATi Radeon x1300 card

Post by Graf Zahl »

I can't do much here. The proper GL driver is not initialized. This creates a software emulation context and those can't run GZDoom at all.

I have no idea how you could get your system into such a state.
For some reason the first dummy context which is used to retrieve some system info works fine but the real one that will be used during the game is not. As a result some things get initialized and the engine doesn't realize that something's fishy with what the OS does.

I have absolutely no clue what's happening here. I'm sure though that it's a driver issue. Do you use an official Catalyst or some hacked third party driver? I have received similar reports for those a while back.
Whoo

Re: [r1928] Crash on startup with ATi Radeon x1300 card

Post by Whoo »

I use the official Catalyst drivers.

Return to “Closed Bugs”