GZ-Doom screen fails to initialize

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Lava Grunt

GZ-Doom screen fails to initialize

Post by Lava Grunt »

Hello!

Whenever I run GZ-Doom, I always get this problem.

I get a black screen with the wad selection window (that also shows all the processes like, "screen initialize" and "starting FMOD" and such) in the center.Now, I know it isn't a hardware problem as it runs and plays just fine on this very good PC; my problem is quite strange.
If I fail to click at the right time and at a certain part of the wad selection window after I hit go/start/launch in the window, I get the problem I mentioned above.

If I do it right (which seems to be luck-based) then every thing works fine.
GZ-Doom is the only modern Doom port that does this.

It is also not a screen resolution problem, I checked.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
-LG
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: GZ-Doom screen fails to initialize

Post by Gez »

Could you capture some screenshots of that? Use a tool such as IrfanView to automatically screenshot the screen every second if you need to.

Also, please post your configuration (at least the parts on video mode and similar hardware config) and your hardware, operating system, and graphic driver.
Lava Grunt

Post by Lava Grunt »

Trust me, it's not my hardware. I am able to run games with much higher standards (like GTA 4) with no issues (well, medium settings, I need a better graphics card).

It's something about whether or not the wad display or some other window is selected or something. It's not crashing, it's failing to show the screen.
I also took an in-game screenshot, and it showed the Doom 2 titlepic. It's not hardware related.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Lava Grunt wrote:Trust me, it's not my hardware. I am able to run games with much higher standards (like GTA 4) with no issues (well, medium settings, I need a better graphics card).
Not really relevant, GT4 uses an engine based on DirectX (Euphoria engine); so the requirements are not always equivalent to those of OpenGL. AMD/ATI in particular is infamous for neglecting the OpenGL side of things.

Anyway, the issue you describe is a bit confusing. The IWAD selection box is its own window, separate from the main GZDoom window in which the console log is displayed. So I'd like to see screenshots of the event.
Lava Grunt

Post by Lava Grunt »

Every time I take one (with print screen) it closes the IWAD selection window and the events log window (the one behind it) at the same time, leaving only a black screen.

And yeah, I believe my card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family unit. Ironic as my old computers was an AMD (but I didn't find AMD too bad, they did a free promotional thing where you could get HL2 Lost Coast and Deathmatch for free. But then again, I remember it giving me troubles trying to run Duke Plus...).
Lava Grunt

Post by Lava Grunt »

Did you leave hanging Gez or what? Sorry if that came off rude, but it's frustrating.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

The thing is, I have nothing more to say. It's a problem that I have never seen myself, nor heard of from other people, and I have no idea what causes it or how to solve it.

Does the same thing happen with ZDoom or with GZDoom in software mode?
Lava Grunt

Post by Lava Grunt »

It appears to be an Open-GL problem...it's the only mode giving me fuss. But it's ran before, but like I said, I had to do the clicking thing. And it's the console log window that stays too, not the IWAD selection box.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I'm guessing what you get is basically the same thing as a HOM. So it seemed like the IWAD selection box appears in the console window simply because the buffer isn't cleared. Do you get HOMs also with other OpenGL applications, such as SLADE 3?
Lava Grunt

Post by Lava Grunt »

Slade 3 the wad editor? No, don't know why that would be a problem since it only seems to be a window based program.
VGA

Post by VGA »

I think SLADE3 uses opengl to show its graphics (like the top down map view when selecting a map), because fraps shows a framerate there :D

Open a wad and select a MAP01 or something, see what happens.

Return to “Closed Bugs”