GZDoom giving absolute problems very recently

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

MetroidJunkie

GZDoom giving absolute problems very recently

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I have an AMD HD 5670 512MB which, while I know AMD cards are known for not being as good with OpenGL, would run GZDoom perfectly fine as long as there wasn't too big a load for it. Just yesterday, however, it's been having crashing fits, it would just say it stopped working altogether or the screen would freeze and, while I can hear myself going through the menu, it's frozen and blank. I managed to look at the console after loading and this was the result:

Spoiler:

This happened even after I downloaded the latest version and replaced it, even when I tried the latest dev build.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: GZDoom giving absolute problems very recently

Post by Rachael »

You are not telling us what WADs you have loaded, which is crucial for diagnosing such a problem.

That being said, are you sure you're loading a mod that uses Doom 1? Because those look like internal texture names, but I am not sure any of them even exist in Doom 1. You might try whatever it is you're trying to load in Doom 2.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The mod in this particular case would be Pokemon Doom but it seems to be having freezing fits even in Vanilla Doom and it can't be the mod because it was working just fine before, GZDoom only just now gave me issues. I even tried the mod in ZDoom and it works, albeit ZDoom can't seem to figure out how to use sound so it keeps muting.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Are you sure everything is uncorrupted? Try replacing your copy of Doom.wad and of Pokemon Doom with fresh downloads/reinstalls.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

A fresh download of the mod gave the same fatal results and, oddly, the Vanilla WAD now appears to be working just fine. What could be causing the mod to all of a sudden have problems when it worked perfectly before?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

We might like to think of our hard drives as infallible storage of bits and bytes that never fails, but it does in fact do so, and many things can cause that, both physically and with the software running on it.

Your Doom.wad got corrupted somehow from this happening - there's really no other way to determine how or why. If a fresh copy works, then the problem fixed itself, and now you just have to hope it doesn't come back. (In my experience, it usually doesn't, but if it does then something's wrong with your storage device and you should look into replacing it ASAP).
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

A fresh download of Doom.wad didn't help, it's still doing it. Moreover, Doom 2 is having the same freezing fit despite not having those errors in the console so I'm now guessing it's completely unrelated to that.

(I think you misunderstood me when you sent this to Closed Bugs, I'm still having the problem with the mod, just not with the Vanilla WAD)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Ah, sorry, sending it back, then.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

It starts out just fine but, after a few seconds, the sprites just get very jerky and the game's essentially frozen. It's never given me any kind of problem before this. After fresh downloads of GZDoom, Doom.wad, and the Pokemon Doom mod itself, the problem's persisting. It can't be the mod because it works with ZDoom without doing this.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I am sorry, but from the description there's nothing I could check here. And the screenshot is so small that I cannot decipher the error messages and I cannot find a way to enlarge it.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Should be able to just click on that since spoiler tags kill the lightbox effect. If not, right click it and go to "View Image"
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Those messages definitely have no relations to any form of crash. It's just missing textures that should be replaced by the default checkerboard.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Well, here's a demonstration of glitches I'm experiencing with GZDoom, even with recent fresh downloads:
It's actually much worse with the Pokemon Doom mod, where it seems to just quit remotely trying to keep the display going and I'm forced to Alt+F4.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

did you try updating your vídeo drivers?
does it happen with this particular build? http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzd ... 071485b.7z
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

That build you suggested seems to have done the trick, I'm no longer experiencing glitching. The only unfortunate downside is that all of my saves seem to be incompatible. Also, yes, I always make sure my drivers are up to date.

Return to “Closed Bugs”