GzDooM pre-1905 + Black screen

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

NullWire

GzDooM pre-1905 + Black screen

Post by NullWire »

Hello, recenty I downloaded the lastest build of Gzdoom, (August 11 version) and this one haves an black screen when the game starts, I can hear the menu sounds but a black screen stills.

http://imgur.com/a/ThqT6

I have gzdoom-x64-g2.2pre-1905-gc0b8627 version and this one doesn't have that, I notice this is the last version where doesn't appear the black screen.

¿This can be fixed? :cry:
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GzDooM pre-1905 + Black screen

Post by Blue Shadow »

With 2.2pre-2000-g34c62c4, I'm having the same problem.
Spoiler: GL Info
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

NullWire, which card are you using?

Having a bit of a hard time tracking this issue down as both my Intel and Nvidia GPUs aren't showing this problem.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

stuff that helped me with that case:
-Use a resolution that has an aspect ration of 16:9.
-Play in windowed mode.
-Alt tab when the game goes into fullscreen mode, and just go back to the game when you hear any sound
-Press alot of times the "Esc" key, the background may be black, but you'll be abble to see the menu and play the game.
-play in another screen.

EDIT: Are you guys also using Windows 10?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

At the moment I'm looking for a pattern in which computers/GPUs have the black screen issue and which do not.

If the things ibm5155 mentions helps getting rid of the black screen I'd love to hear about it, but otherwise the way I understand this bug report gzdoom starts up black and remains black no matter what you do.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

the 16:9 screen methos isn't working anymore :(
But here is a vídeo showing the other methods that are working here... (happens with both amd hd8870m and intel hd4000) )
Last edited by ibm5155 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I appreciate your effort to try and help ibm5155, but I'm really looking for a broader understanding of exactly which computers and cards are doing this. I.e. if its exclusively an AMD issue or a specific generation of cards. I've already noted that your computer is one of them with some of the symptoms.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

I actually have an Radeon R5 graphics card
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

I'm also having this issue exactly as it appears in ibm5155's video. Open GZDoom, sometimes it runs normally, sometimes (more frequently) is just a black screen with sound on background as if the game is running normally but without some GL init or video initialization (blind shot there).
It started happening with all git-builds since the inclusion of post-processing fxs.

Tried older Crimson drivers, no matter which one, it still happens.
i5-4590 and Radeon HD 7790 here.

From dpJudas comment stating that he has intel and nvidia cards to test, it seems to be a AMD related problem.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

That also happens with intel gpu (at least under my intel hd4000 [I recorded the vídeo using that gpu])
but MAYBE, the intel gpu is being affected by the amd gpu somehow (just a guess)
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Based on what I see on the video, it does look like the viewport is broken somehow (where you see a partial menu).

If you got the time ibm5155, I'd like you try see what happens if you build and run with the LB viewport fixes I did: https://github.com/dpjudas/zdoom/tree/l ... utions_fix - there is some chance that the fixes there might fix the black screen issue if its due to incorrect glViewport calls.
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

ibm5155 wrote:That also happens with intel gpu (at least under my intel hd4000 [I recorded the vídeo using that gpu])
but MAYBE, the intel gpu is being affected by the amd gpu somehow (just a guess)
I believe that the shared gpu in mobile pcs (mainly Intel+AMD since a few years) work together at low level, even if you select the Intel as the main gpu, the AMD still does some thinking for it.
For example: A friend had a lot of trouble to make some specific game run using the AMD in his notebook. We tried drivers, bios settings, forcing profiles at regedit, and at the end it did not work with the game we tried. It worked with everything else, but that game. Later, it did not work with another game...
After research, we found that about the Intel+AMD gpu combo of recent mobile pcs, and a lot of people having the same trouble. In the end he traded his notebook for another one with only a AMD gpu.

Back on topic: With my integrated gpu (Intel HD Graphics 4600) this black screen issue does not happens.
Also tested with a notebook (Intel HD Graphics 4200) and it also did not happen there.
I don't have a Nvidia gpu at hand to test, so not able to help there.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Actually, the new notebooks (including the intel+nvidia and intel+amd gpu combo) act weird, the dedicated gpu act like a voodoo 2, and the intel gpu as a 2D graphics card.
What does it mean? the amd gpu is only used for a single task (and the task is when you start a game), it then renders the game, send that frame to the intel gpu and then the intel gpu deal with it showing it on screen.
But the combo is not perfect, if not well configured (for example), both gpus will fight to controll your display output (with that can result in the lack of control in screen bright level or even no vídeo signal), the thing is the intel gpu is the máster and the amd gpu is the slave, the amd gpu can try to compete with the display, but it'll never work since only the intel gpu is connected to the display and the vídeo output.
and imagine when Windows 10 was released where it reinstall all your vídeo drivers, it was a mess, and it took 2 YEARS for fixing the godam drivers...
dpJudas wrote:Based on what I see on the video, it does look like the viewport is broken somehow (where you see a partial menu).

If you got the time ibm5155, I'd like you try see what happens if you build and run with the LB viewport fixes I did: https://github.com/dpjudas/zdoom/tree/l ... utions_fix - there is some chance that the fixes there might fix the black screen issue if its due to incorrect glViewport calls.
I tried but, the same errors as before (but I think it's a bit worse).
Using AMD gpu:
-I can't see nothing now, even using my tricks, windowed mode isn't working more :(
-Even using the secondary monitor, I cannot see nothing anymore ;--; (even in windowed mode)

Using Intel gpu:
-The same results as before, the only work with that tricks or in windowed mode.
-Also a note, when I change the resolution in fullscreen mode, sometimes, the "VIDEO OPTIONS" string only shows "O MO" and the "OPTIONS" menu shows "OPT ONS".
-All those errors still not happen using the secondary monitor (even the vídeo options shows correctly when changing the resolution).
Microsoft link wrote: ...
-->There exist two Black screen:
1. When you open certain applications ATI / AMD, these get black screen with sound. (only Intel 1gen + ATI variants)
Hmm, maybe the drivers are not yet fully fixed (since freakin 2014 :( )
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I think I may finally have a working theory for what is going wrong here.

I noticed while testing on Mac that sometimes the buffers would contain garbage pixels. I've added a change to the lb_resolutions_fix branch that clears the buffers before use. That fixed it on my Mac, so maybe it will work wonders for you too. Here's to hoping. :)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Tested and here are the results:

AMD:
<Fullscreen> - Everything is black no matter if I change the resolution (both primary and secondary monitors)
-If I change the screen resolution when started in fullscreen mode, the screen became fisible...
<Windowed> - Blackscreen, BUT if I change the window size on vertical (does nothing if done in horizontal) the screen magically became visible and everything just Works..

Intel:
<Fullscreen>
-Secondary screen: Everything Works just fine.
-Primary Screen: doom 2 title background is black, but you can see the game/menu and even the credits background image, also, there're some corruption with the bigfont when changing the resolution in fullscreen mode.
<Windowed>: Works just fine.

screenshots from the corrupted chars (intel) [only happens in fullscreen mode and under the primary screen]
Spoiler:
Dj, can't you just add a resize call when playing in windowed mode and a change resolution call when playing in fullscreen mode? this way you'll fix all these weird stuff :p

EDIT:
also with the new build, I tested this case with AMD: http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7065
and now it's also showing all those weird pixels under the map (before it wasn't)

Return to “Closed Bugs”