[2.3pre-222-g6a6263a] "Savegame is from a different level" with UDV?

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

drmariocor

[2.3pre-222-g6a6263a] "Savegame is from a different level" with UDV?

Post by drmariocor »

I'm having trouble with project brutality when using Ultimate Doom Visor.

Load order is follows using ZDL.

(my IWAD is Doom 2)

1.Back to Saturn X WAD.

2.Back to Saturn X DEH.

3.Project Brutality 2.03

4.UDV 1.85 A BASE

5.UDV 1.85 B Project Brutality

6.UDV 1.85 D Inventory Goggles

7.UDV 1.85 D Inventory HEV suit.

Using GZdoom gzdoom-x64-g2.3pre-222-g6a6263a as shown here http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzd ... 6a6263a.7z and ZDL 3.2.2.3. BETA

It loads fine, but regardless of the WAD (Happened on project brutality on the doom 2 campaign and the back to Saturn X campaign) I run into issues. The HUD eventually bugs out, like my weapon list gets replaced with the name of various decals, at the top left, or I get a divide by zero error in the console.

Besides that, I'm running into random savegame "corruption". My save won't load and it just says "Savegame is from another level." I'm using the automatic-autosave (AKA the Combat Recorder.) that comes with UDV.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53594 Maybe UDV is using the old savegame format? Some people in this topic said they encountered the error, but they were not using ultimate doom visor I think. I discovered this topic after I googled the "Save game is from different level" error, and that was the only result aside from the Zdoom GitHub.

I'm linking to a dropbox upload with my GZdoom folder (Don't worry, there's no IWAD in there.) so we can figure out what exactly is causing this, is it UDV? Brutality? GZdoom? Or actually a problem on Zdoom's side? https://www.dropbox.com/s/ir5h2q8pfgz7e ... m.rar?dl=0

Use ZDL and load in the order listed above. Note that the UDV files you should load are in "New UDV" under HUDS in external files as brutality came with an outdated version of UDV. Try and load AutoSave 5. (Odd because I set the number of autosaves in UDV to four, maybe that has something to do with it?) you'll get the "Save game is from a different level" error even though the savegame is from Return to Saturn X.

I have no idea WHY this happens, but it's a real showstopper. Not ALL my saves seem to get effected, but whenever I play it's bound to happen after about 10 to 15 minutes.

On a side note, something is wrong with account activation. I re-sent that activation email at least 30 times and it's not anywhere in my inbox or spam folder.

If you'd like to do it from a "Fresh" start rather than use my dropbox (File might take a long time to DL) here's where you can get the WAD and mod files.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/back-to-satur ... y-stations Back to Saturn X

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... -brutality Project Brutality

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... ki113r-v51 Ultimate DoomVisor
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: [2.3pre-222-g6a6263a] "Savegame is from a different level" with UDV?

Post by Graf Zahl »

What I need more than anything else is the broken savegame. And that is missing from your archive.
drmariocor

Post by drmariocor »

Graf Zahl wrote:What I need more than anything else is the broken savegame. And that is missing from your archive.

I've looked all over and I cannot find the saves. They're there in-game and I can load them, but I tried searching for .zds files and I get no results. There's nothing in the GZdoom folder. I honestly have no clue where the saves are located. :?:
drmariocor

Post by drmariocor »

I checked the save_dir, it's the GZdoom folder. It must be saving to it but the saves just are not there for some reason, even though I can see them through GZdoom and load them. I'm sorry if I'm getting frustrated, this makes absolutely no sense as to why they're seemingly missing.

I'm confused as all heck, and it's frustrating I can't edit my posts because I don't have my account setup, and that's because the activation email never gets received for some reason. I've tried re-sending it 3 more times and it's not in my inbox or spam folder.

Again, I have no idea why the saves are not there. They're there in the game, I can load them, they're saving to that folder, but I cannot see them in the folder, even with view hidden files enabled. It's like the saves are made of anti-matter or something. I'm 100% sure they're there, GZdoom sees them, but windows for whatever reason does not, even with the search function looking for .ZDL files. I'm considering just deleting GZdoom and reinstalling it along with ZDL and seeing if that can get the files to "Save" properly.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Have you checked in the user's appdata folder? It will save there if they cannot be save in the game directory.
drmariocor

Post by drmariocor »

Graf Zahl wrote:Have you checked in the user's appdata folder? It will save there if they cannot be save in the game directory.
I just looked under Local, LocalLow, and Roaming, and there's nothing related to GZDoom or ZDL in there. I tried changing save_dir to Desktop, it "Worked", as it could still save and load from/to the desktop, but as before, no actual "Files" seem to be created, yet GZdoom has no problem at all "Seeing" the files.

NEVERMIND: I have found out what I was doing wrong. I was NOT running ZDL as admin. As soon as I did, my user was reset but when I made another test save, it finally showed up in the GZdoom folder.

I'll have to get the bug to re-produce. As soon as I do (Should be by tomorrow afternoon since I have to go to bed.) I'll make a post with a bugged save uploaded. I can make sense of not running ZDL as admin preventing it from making the save files correctly, (Doesn't have the privileges to create files.) but exactly how was GZDoom still able to detect what technically shouldn't have existed in the first place?

One other thing, how shall I isolate the bugged save once I get it to happen? No matter what I name my ingame-saves, they all show up as save#.zds?
drmariocor

Post by drmariocor »

Got the bugged save. Before this happens, as I said my HUD usually bugs out, with stuff like "BD_COOPLIVES" replacing my ammo counter, etc.
save0.zds
(479.11 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I can see where this savegame went wrong. But that bug has already been fixed for another, easier to reproduce bug. In short, the JSON library I use for generating the save tends to silently break its output when being fed something it can't digest. In this case it was a string with a non-ASCII character. It has to operate in UTF-8 mode to be able to do that with an explicit conversion being done by the caller. And that was missing when this was created.

Return to “Closed Bugs”